Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please help me with this 1919 Quarter.  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome post Coinfrog. And Stevo-Aus, nothing's for sure until an expert looks at it, and I'm far from being anything close to that. Just a coincidence that the Chinese picked that $500 coin to make a fake of.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5811 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check ChildOfTheWheat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the OP's coin looks good to me. Nice SLQ.
Remember: Change is good, especially when it's a Wheat penny
ANA Number 3181904
Pillar of the Community
United States
1023 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fake

The 2nd T in States and the A are not joined at the foot in a legit coin

https://www.NGCcoin.com/coin-explor...coinid-15732

Fake fake fake
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6086 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Andthen there's this, a "Copy Coin" on the Chinesemarket- I would compare this to the first T in "States" on this copy to the OP's Quarter.They aren't found on real SLQ's. I'm sorry. I was hoping it was real until I saw these available for $6 on (Not Allowed). And the stock exchange made (Not Allowed) a stock traded here in the US. We're making these thieves richer.

But you neglect the fact that the style on that fake looks NOTHING like the OP's coin. There was an obverse hub change in 1925, and the devices afterward have a more-rounded appearance. The fake you posted has the 1925-1930 style (which is the kind of coin the counterfeiters would have used to make their dies). Also look at the date (specifically the 1's). There is no similarity and no question that they are from two seperate dies. Also notice the grainy appearance of the fake that is not present on the OP's coin.

Quote:

fake

The 2nd T in States and the A are not joined at the foot in a legit coin

https://www.NGCcoin.com/coin-explor...coinid-15732

Fake fake fake

You are neglecting die wear, coin wear, and lighting. Look elsewhere (date/mintmark style, etc.) and you will find a perfect match.
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6086 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a coincidence that the Chinese picked that $500 coin to make a fake of.

No coincidence. Take a look at that site. They fake EVERYTHING, even 1958 wheat cents. Everything from an 1870 S $3 Gold, to a 1920 Buffalo nickel, to an 1876 Half Dollar can be found in their inventory.
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1365 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1919D and 1919S are both low mintage LSQ's. Does the face side of your coin have a scratch on it? I have both the D and S in slabs and they are not cheap. Hard to find in better than just F condition because they had the disappearing date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4834 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks good visually but to determine if it is a fake what is the weight?
Australia
10 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stevo-Aus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update:
I've measured the coin and both size and thickness measurements are to specification. Reeding is consistent. It weighs in at 6.20-6.22 grams (my scales are usually pretty accurate to within a few points). I don't have any way to test the metal composition but my rare earth magnet is definetly showing paramagnetism. Looking at the coin under magnification the worn flat spots still have pressure marks which show hints of the original features (sort of like when the date has worn off a Buffalo nickel but if you can get light hitting it at the right angle you can make it out). Looking at the fakes I notice how the edging on the liberty side (I always get my obverse and reverses mixed lol) is pretty poor on both examples unlike the coin I have. I'm pretty convinced it's a legit piece however if anybody has more ways to test I'd love to hear them and fish out if it is indeed a dud.
Australia
10 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stevo-Aus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've taken some more photo's for everybody. I wish I could show the finer details on the coin but these are the best I can do. Due to forum size restraints they're posted here: https://drive.google.com/folderview...YTmVsZ2NqWEk
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05