Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rant - an open letter to the Royal Canadian Mint  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3674 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much Canadian I guess, but happy anniversary !
Valued Member
Canada
361 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt they ever even bothered to look at your design.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1369 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bugs bunny and Star Trek will sell more coins than the Geological survey of Canada. It's no longer about "Canadian themes" but rather $$$$$ for the mint. It's too bad real accomplishments get overlooked, and junk takes the place instead.
Thanks Spp-Ottawa, for the information, as well as countless attempts to better the hobby. I certainly hope there is a coin produced in the future as a result of your letter. Better late than never.
I will be writing a letter to the RCM supporting your proposal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2114 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another missed opportunity.

Learn More...
Canada
7284 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:39 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canadian_coins, I love your photoshop magic... I am totally going to steal that image and send it to a few friends (with your permission, of course).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7284 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:43 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TheCoinHunter, now that is pretty cool... Robert Bell is famous for his early treks mapping portions of Canada's north...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjlavoie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THat's too bad the RCM totally missed out on this one. I know we're coin collectors here, but I wonder if Canada Post would have done a stamp for it or would even take to time to reply?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa: Thanks for sharing your letter. Your suggestion is truly the type of commemorative coin on which the RCM should place a dedicated focus. Coins are one of the best ways to celebrate and memorialize a nation's history and achievements - your organization is certainly worthy of recognition. I'm sorry for you and your organization that it did not come to fruition.

@canadian_coins: Very nice! A tip of the ol' cap to your imaging skills!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Learn More...
United States
47651 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bugs bunny and Star Trek will sell more coins than the Geological survey of Canada. It's no longer about "Canadian themes" but rather $$$$$ for the mint.
Agreed.

Quote:
canadian_coins, I love your photoshop magic...
Yes, looks good.

I totally would have bought this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1208 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Roger. We do a lot of ephemera and Canadiana at the gallery/bookstore next door. We likely have some early GSC material, books and possibly more ephemera. Next time you're up...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2114 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am totally going to steal that image and send it to a few friends (with your permission, of course).

Go for it!
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blastofffireworks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa Full support from this end! Agree with your perspective - and nearly everyone else's opinions on this topic.

I'm also voting with my wallet. My 2017 YTD purchases with the RCM are WAAAAAAY down, thanks to the mass-produced designs / lack of true "Canadiana" in recent issues. Lately, I feel that Canada Post is doing a much better job at commemorating our history than the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1932 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a geologist who worked underground across Canada in gold
mines, I am in complete agreement that this commemoration
of the 175th Anniversary of the GSC would have been a great
coin to own and good recognition of the efforts of those
early surveying geologist pioneers who travelled along the
rivers, mountains and shorelines to open up Canada. Were
it not for the efforts of these brave explorers we would
not be where we are today. Too bad they wouldn't listen Roger.

Edited by SilverDon
04/22/2017 11:57 am
Learn More...
Canada
7284 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much to my surprise, I received a response and a phone call from Pierre Justino, Director Product Development. I won't bother with the details, but given the current design scheduling, the chances of anything being struck this calendar year are slim to nil...

The fact that I received a response to my letter (which was not the nicest letter I have ever written) was quite surprising however, and I appreciated that...

Roger
--

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7284 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone here for the moral support... if you are curious, this is a website that a team of us put together. This was 18 months of hard work, and celebrates the 175th anniversary of the GSC, in 175 objects:

http://www.science.gc.ca/eic/site/0...h_00006.html

My eBay store
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05