Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What say you on this 1803 Draped Bust Dollar  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15333 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2017  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree F-15 details, clearly cleaned, very decent-looking but will not slab clean - a big problem in today's marketplace.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS shipping on the way. Here is the report. What is meant by 98-Damage?

CERT VERIFICATION #84133641
According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS Coin Information
PCGS # 6900
Date, mintmark 1803
Denomination $1
Variety Small 3
Country The United States of America
Grade Genuine VF Details (98 - Damage)
Holder Type Standard
Pillar of the Community
United States
6820 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
98 is the code for damage that they use on holders for problem coins. Each type of problem has its own number.

http://www.PCGS.com/grades
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215, 2016 NCNA YN of the Year
Pillar of the Community
United States
2418 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least it's real.
numismatic_student aka CoinNerd
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
CoinNerd's Type Set: http://coinnerdtypeset.blogspot.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know what the number 98 means?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2418 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pL6iJ_hSDJg

Education Michael Sherman walks the viewer through nine reasons a coin will receive the 98 code designation. Among these problems are graffiti, planchet streaks, tooled surfaces, whizzing, machine damage, rim damage, surface damage, mount removal and holed or holed and plugged coins.

The numerical code of 98 stands for damage. PCGS defines damages as:

"Any form of metal movement, either intentional or accidental. Damage may include excessive or heavy rim dings and bruises, deliberate surface damage such as graffiti, attempts to remove spots, etc. The severity and extent of the damage affects whether it will get a "No Grade" decision. Whizzing is the use of a high-speed, rotating wheel to buff the surfaces of a coin, which actually moves the metal on the surface and leaves ridges on many of the devices."
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
Edited by numismatic student
05/19/2017 8:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update...It's genuine.
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks numismatic_student. Great information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I will ask to return this coin. I could live with Details-Improper Cleaning, but not with the Damage designation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8187 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I will ask to return this coin. I could live with Details-Improper Cleaning, but not with the Damage designation.

Where do you think the damage is? I don't see any damage in the photo. Sometimes a harsh cleaning is considered damage and that might be the case here.

The coin does look cleaned in your images but otherwise looks like a decent example.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the photos are enlarged you can see some "harsh" cleaning or tooling done below LIB on the obverse. Also, on the reverse between STATES and OF there looks to be the same type of damage. PCGS has much better enlargement equipment and expertise to analyze and properly identify the damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2017  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Return was not accepted by the seller. Appeal also denied. Some eBay technicality about sending the coin. eBay rep. told me I should of taken the coin to a place close to me. Did not offer a specific place. I don't believe eBay personal realize the security steps that are taken to send and receive a coin from PCGS or other TPG services. I really thought the seller would gladly accept the return, but he fought "tooth and nail" to reject the return. Live and learn-NO MORE RAW COINS FROM eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2017  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Live and learn-NO MORE RAW COINS FROM eBay!

With all due respect, and please take this as a "Dutch uncle's advice," don't buy expensive raw coins at all until you learn some things about grading. Any collector, who has had some good experience with grading coins in general and Bust Dollars in particular, could have told you that the surfaces on this piece had been rubbed with an abrasive. The devise used may have been as simple as an eraser on the end of a pencil.

Beyond cleaning, there are counterfeits which are getting to be more and more of a problem. The Chinese are making and exporting what seems like millions of them. The counterfeits are not limited to rare and high grade coins. In fact the Chinese have made a business of marketing counterfeits that are replicas of common date, circulated coins like Morgan silver dollars. Therefore third party grading is a great idea because of grading and counterfeit issues.

As for you inability to return this item to the seller, I can understand that to a point. Fraud is not a one way street. Buyers have been known to switch coins and try to return a lower grade, lower value item for a full refund. This is why the stipulation, "Any coin removed from its original holder may not be returned," is included in the fine print of some transactions.

I am not casting any dispersion on you. I'm simply explaining a seller's position.

In this case you might have contacted the seller BEFORE you sent the coin to PCGS. If he agreed to have PCGS "arbitrate" the issue, then you could have gone ahead. If not, then you should have returned the item at that point.
Retired Dealer and long time collector
Pillar of the Community
United States
8187 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the positive side you've a got a nice looking, genuine, 1803 Draped Bust Dollar with VF+ Detail and the damage is not severe. In the long run this was not a total loss or tremendously expensive learning experience.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2418 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2017  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur that it is a nice looking coin
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05