Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What name do you use for US nickels produced 1883-1912? Also set updates.  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
11413 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some are in the mail, some I am going to try to pickup Sunday at a local coin show, but here are the coins of this type I have so far: Liberty V Nickels

And a few teasers:
1883 NC

1883 Racketeer

1883 WC

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
6691 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call them Liberty Head Nickels . And BTW I'm only missing the big 3 in my set, grades run from F-12 TO AU-53.
Most with Full Liberty's , some just missing the I .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6190 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:59 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw your album Fuzzy. Nice collection and good job.
Good title decision too.
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always called them Liberty Head Nickels.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call them V-Nics
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10570 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, V is the Roman numeral for 5, and calling these things "5 (cent) Nickels" seems a little... redundant. That being said, I just call them Liberty nickels.
Edited by Joseph7420
08/12/2017 11:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
47724 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted "Liberty Head V nickels"

I only have the two in my 7070, which calls them "Liberty Head" under the section nickels. However, my spreadsheet has them listed at "Liberty Nickel."
Learn More...
United States
11413 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:10 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Liberty Head V nickel" is what I have in my spread sheet too. The Whitman folder I currently have says "Liberty Head Nickel". The dansco album I hope to get later today should have " Liberty nickel"

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:36 am  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just think V nickel.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Learn More...
United States
47724 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you are just talking about file names, which are really "for internal use only," I think shorter is better. I change my vote to "Liberty nickels."
Pillar of the Community
United States
698 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck has the same thought process as I do. If you're just talking about file names, I would use 5V1883.jpg, 5V1884.jpg, 5V1885.jpg, 5V1912D.jpg, etc. For adding grades, or if you have duplicates, then something like 5v1883au55(1).jpg & 5v1883au55(2).jpg for duplicate 1883 AU-55's as an example. That's how I do it.

For the file folder name, I have a main "Coin" folder, and then subfolders of Cents, Nickels, Dimes, etc. They have subfolders for Large Cent, LWC, LMC, Buffalo, V, Jefferson, etc. Each of those then have folders for each date. Lots of folders, but they make it easy to find.

With this file folder system, you really don't even have to label each file as 1c, 5v, 5b, 5j, 10m, 25w, etc, since each type is in it's proper folder. Just the dates (and grades) if desired, is needed. I've actually gotten away from file names. As long as I keep them in the correct folder, no name change is needed from what the camera assigns.
Edited by Beefer518
08/13/2017 02:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
V
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeBipp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call them Liberty V nickel or just plain simply V nickel.
Learn More...
United States
11413 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to my local coin show today. I had 5 main goals and 1 side goal.
The main goals were:
1. pickup a Liberty V nickel album to fill - nope
2. sell my extra Buffalo nickels - nope
3. sell my extra Liberty nickels - nope
4. pickup missing Liberty nickels (not counting those on order) - yes
5. pickup upgrades for a few Liberty nickels (upgraded one that was still on order) - yes

side goal:
sell off some extra silver and gold coins - YES!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2776 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Over at Collectors Universe they are portrayed as "Barber Nickels", since they were designed by Charles Barber.

Those guys over at Collectors Universe are maniacs!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05