Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify the problem with the problem 1846 LSD coin part 3  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2082 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the answer is ...........Whizzed!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5674 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zero for three!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1170 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got it right!
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh. Okay.

I have certainly seen worse whizzing jobs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1170 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Huh. Okay.

I have certainly seen worse whizzing jobs.

It definitely fooled me at first. I first thought it was a plugged hole, but something just didn't look right. "Whizzed" was the answer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great job silverdollar! What were the diagnostics that you looked for or what did you see that led you to whizzing?
Edited by chesterb
02/13/2018 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1170 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was actually just a guess. I thought at first that a plugged hole sounded best, but it didn't look like a plugged hole. I couldn't really find anything else that would result in a details grade, but I remembered that a coin can be whizzed and it can retone after that, which can be difficult to spot. So I guessed whizzed, and it turns out I was right!

This one, in my opinion, was a bit too hard to guess from computer images.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For my edification, can someone point out the characteristics of the whizzing on this coin?
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22533 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't mind knowing that myself!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Edited by Coinfrog
02/13/2018 3:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1170 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same here.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good guess, SilverDollar2017!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2082 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at it under magnification and the only giveaway is the usual colors in the fields and some deep unusual hairlines on the obverse. This is housed in an old anacs holder so the whizzing took place many decades ago and appears to have toned over.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1170 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I did some research a few minutes ago and found the auction where it was sold.
Valued Member
Taiwan
255 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JJuliano: From the PCGS website: Term used to describe the process of mechanically moving the metal of a lightly circulated coin to stimulate luster.Usually accomplished by using a wire brush attachment on a high speed drill.
This coin has not sold yet but will be hammered shortly by Heritage within the next 1 1/2 hours.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05