Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Too much yellow!  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
Spain
315 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Bob,lets see what happens....

In reference to my last posting the quote is only
from Z.

We're still waiting for A to reply!

Thanks again Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today Z uploaded a bunch of small Elymaeans, and they were free of applied patinas. The description of each stated, “Coin is professionally cleaned.” They looked genuinely nice. I take this as a hopeful sign. He also uploaded a lot of Judaeans this week, each saying “Coin is as found with original patina and soil.” Now these may have been “enhanced” – they each have a grayish/yellowish patina – nothing like the garish yellow-orange I associate with his work. So whether the new ones have been worked, I can't say for sure.

We should stay vigilant and see what his future additions look like. If he strays from the straight and narrow, he should be called out again.

No sign of new uploads this week from A. He may be laying low since the warning from management. Time will tell whether he complies. Time, that is, and the color of the coins he eventually uploads.
Valued Member
Spain
315 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well here's the first coin.... Naked...

Nice detail.

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WRT the coin Paul is showing, if you look at the small bits of pitting in the lower surfaces and the sharp detail in the higher parts of the design I have no doubt that this coin would have been a candidate for "treatment." That would fill in the small pits and highlight the design features. The face of Licinius on the obverse has pits on the cheek and neck, and a thin rouge-like addition of "finish" would have filled them in and enhanced the appearance (by hiding the truth). Ditto the pits below the lambda and left of the gate on the reverse. Meanwhile it would have evened out the appearance of deposits in the small squares of the gate.

I can see the temptation, but prefer the natural appearance of the coin as is.
Edited by lrbguy
02/17/2017 10:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much improved, Paul. Nice job.

Yep, I agree Irbguy. The fraud is twofold: adding a fake sand patina, and obscuring pits.

I was wrong about A not uploading anything new. Just a few AE's uploaded by him this week, all with at least some of his typical signature orange - the one below with the most coverage (like thousands he has uploaded in the past few years). I suspect he'll be resistant to change.

Edited by Bob L
02/17/2017 2:09 pm
Valued Member
Spain
315 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can see the temptation, but prefer the natural appearance of the coin as is.

I completely agree with you lrbguy...I didn't pay a lot for
this coin and probably would've paid more as it is now.

Quote:
Just a few AE's uploaded by him this week, all with at least some of his typical signature orange
....What a shame!!.....
What's the general opinion on whats being used here ?
The first coin from Z
I just dropped in distilled water for approx 1 minute and thats the result.I tried this on the second coin from A for a few hours and nothing...It's now been soaking in acetone for about 2 hours and is starting to thin out..

Any ideas?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the general opinion on whats being used here ?

See TIF's second post here, the one that starts "A fourth point to add:"

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fr...llow.290945/

Valued Member
Spain
315 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob.....Women put this stuff on their faces?!?

Strangely the acetone is changing to an orange colour.

If clean I will post a photo this weekend of the A coin.

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3181 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So today I went to Vcoins and found some orange coins among the new listings. They are from a different dealer (whose name incidentally also begins with A). Go to their own "new items" page and it's almost all orange, excluding the non-coin artifacts. Could you have a look at them?
Valued Member
Spain
315 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just had a look This guy is a new shop that joined vcoins recently...within the last months I think!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh, yes, "A-2" seems determined to follow in "A-1's" footsteps. I have just written to Zach. Feel free to do so too, if you are so inclined. Thanks for the heads-up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2552 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  06:00 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the acetone is turning orange I believe it almost certainly indicates artificial coloring (dye) has been used and is dissolving in the solvent.
I wonder what might happen with chlorine ?
You might take the coin out of acetone.
It should dry out in less than 30 seconds.
Try using a Q tip and apply a smidgen of bleach to one corner. If the color changes it is definitely dye.
I don't believe bleach should hurt the real patina beneath. Assuming it is real and not done with a black Magic Marker !!
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
2552 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  06:07 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last week (just for giggles) I took a brutally over cleaned Tetricus and applied a dash of Rustoleum.
An initial coat of grey primer followed by a second coat of black !
I had no green at hand or I would have given it a little accent. It looks respectable .....

I am not home at the moment but will post a pic later.
Two pics really
Before and after the acetone !!

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder what might happen with chlorine ?

I would be careful with that on bronze coins. I used to use hydrochloric acid to dissolve certain types of encrustation. Some coins cleaned up well, but two years later some of those, not all, showed definite signs of bronze disease.

Direct application of chlorine might be tickling the dragon's tail.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2552 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alternative idea

If the acetone is changing color then obviously we have removed something from the coin.

Evaporate the acetone and the residue should remain in the jar
Add chlorine bleach to jar and we should get some sort of results
If the color changes i.e. disappears that tells us something

Fake

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05