Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins of India - Kashmir - Coins of Hindu Kings  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello drnsreedhar

Wondering if you could help check my attribution and show me how the kings name is written please.

I think its the son of Kshemagupta and Didda Rani......Abhimanyu AD 958-972

I have some more coins of this type but of different kings which I could post if you would like to see them.You've got a lovely set of coins there and very informative thanks.

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Palouche,
Thanks for the post. You have made an accurate attribution.Congratulations!

I would very much like to see your other coins also. Please do post.

There is a link that I think would be useful to you regarding Hindu kings of Kashmir.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...ml#msg221050
Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help really appreciated.

An excellent link thanks.

Did this king rule in the Duptala dynasty or the Uptala,my references seem a bit confusing?

I've been trying to learn Nagari script (very difficult for me!)although I'm beginning to recognise more letters now.Is this correct?

On the reverse of these coins it is sometimes written ...Gupta deva....or Ja deva...Could you show me how these 2 words are written?

Saludos Paul

Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another of my coins..

I think....Partha Varman (907-923 AD)?

Could you show me how to write his name please..

Thanks in advance Paul
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have almost perfectly learnt Nagari script!!

Ma is written with a loop at the bottom of the left vertical stroke.All other features are correct on your "Abhima"

The right vertical stroke also extends down to below the horizontal stroke. If it is shortened, the letter becomes "cha".

I have tried to overlay the script on your coin. "rdha" is written as a joint consonant with "ra" above and "dha" below.

Probably you have a script chart. Still I am attaching one which I got from the net and used to learn.

PS: The name of the dynasty is "UTPALA" not Uptala.
Edited by drnsreedhar
08/20/2017 10:32 am
Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your help drnsreedhar ....

so Abhimanyu is written like this. Partha Varman is written like this.

My next coin is in quite nice condition a Kshema Gupta AD 948-957

Written like this ?..
On the reverse of the coin at the bottom right I think its supposed to say deva gupta do you know how to write this?

Thanks in advance Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great. You are a Maestro now! Your readings are right.

Gupta can be found on the reverse. I am unable to find Deva. But there is a letter "u" or part of "a" inside the circle. I do not get what that could be.

Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats excellent thank you...you've really helped.

Quote:
You are a Maestro now!
Thanks for the comment but I think I have a looooong way to go, but I'm really interested in the script and at least now with the help from you I can recognise some.The joint consonants are the most difficult for me but I will practice..

I still have some more common ones..Kalasa, Harsha, Samgrama and of course Didda Rani if you would like to see them and maybe check my attributions? Also I have a few more in the post Ananta and Gopala and so now beginning to get a nice set together.

Interesting about the A or you ?

Thanks again saludos Paul

Edited by Palouche
08/21/2017 3:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Paul. Please do post your coins here. They might supplement some features not present on the coins already posted. Others who are in search of details of parts of script on their coins would benefit from that. And your coins are in excellent condition also. Happy collecting!!
Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here they are....

Kalasa AD 1076-1089

Harsha AD 1089-1101

On the reverse of the Kalasa (bottom right) the letters seem different to gupta ...maybe the start of deva What do you think?

I hope my writing of the script is ok?

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2017  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Abhimanyu, Partha, Kalasa,Harsha, Diddakshema are perfect. Deva also is correct as per the alphabet. But on coins it is written slightly in a different way.

Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you...Heres my last two for now...

Didda Rani AD 958-1003 (Firstly as regent for sons and grandsons then as sole ruler.)

Samgrama AD 1003-1028

One question ..Reverse of the Samgrama,with your experience what do you think is written there?

Thanks for all your help I've learnt alot and will post my new coins when they arrive.

Saludos Paul

Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The portion I could identify reads "deva"

Valued Member
Spain
341 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks drnsreedhar...Here's my latest..Hope my attribution is correct!?

<b>Ananta deva 1028-1076</b>

Looks like deva on the reverse?

One question...Are there any references ,especially images of what the other symbols might be around the ruler or godess?

Thanks again for your knowledge and time ..Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
India
1686 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations Palouche, you are right on spot.

I have not so far come across dependable documentation on the symbols found around the ruler.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05