Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Extremely Low Budget Setup  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I switched to all LED lights and the tinting is gone, but the grainy look is still there even without any sharpening or increase in contrast.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1726 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2017  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the graininess can be reduced if you increase the diffusion in front of the LED lamps. Of course, too much diffusion will reduce the luster, so experimentation with light placement and diffusion is needed to get the best results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried just about everything. Jansjo's (2 to 6) without diffusion and with various amounts of diffusion, and cannot seem to get the results shown here by others. Here is the latest and best I could do. Still too grainy in my opinion. The photo just doesn't "jump out with luster" as the coin looks in the PCGS holder.

Edited by Ham1947
06/18/2017 09:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2017  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello ham I have not been doing any coin photography. took an interest in this thread. 2 janso lamps 1 swing lamp, with a bulb from Walmart direct light. the coin is slabbed. I am using a canon camera with a macro lens. tethering is with capture one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2876 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ham...what are your camera settings (Picture Style and the 4 subsettings)? You may just be battling your camera.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
2299 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  06:24 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got a new Canon this weekend, so I'd like to know which settings work best as well.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found some info and settings. Hope this is what is wanted.

Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or, maybe this will help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2209 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ham:

For my CFL bulb I am using a 14W, which I am assuming is a soft white.
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rmpsrpms, have I given the information you wanted? Most likely too much? Ham
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hamm you should update your firmware to the latest version here is the latest for Mac

EOS Rebel T1i
Drivers / Software Selection
Your operating system should have already been detected. If not, please select it from the dropdown menu to the right

Firmware
File Name and Description Version File Size Date Posted
EOS Rebel T1i / EOS 500D Firmware Update, Version 1.1.2 [Mac OS X]
v112-t1i-500D-x3-mac.dmg 1.1.2
9.48MB
13/12/2016
all you have to do is go to the canon site. download the latest version upload it to your camera. I think you will find a great improvement for your camera. I am going to up grade my t1i. start with that first
Pillar of the Community
United States
2876 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ham...work was busy last 2 days and I missed your inputs on settings...

First, I should say that the image looks very lustrous to me! So IMO you have a good starting point.

The graininess may be due to the high level of sharpening being done in camera. You are using "Standard" style, with a sharpening level of "3". This is the camera default, and generally produces decent but not great results. Any level of sharpening in post processing will make the graininess worse.

I see you're doing exposure compensation, and this has eliminated most blown-out highlights. You have this setting correct for the shot. But with this level of compensation, the pic coming out of the camera must be pretty dark, and you're doing a lot of adjustment in post processing to brighten it, correct?

Your ISO, WB, metering, etc all look fine.

I'd recommend trying a couple different things:

1) Change the contrast subsetting to -2, -3, or even -4. This will balance the image a little better, and give you room for adjustments without blowing out highlights or crushing shadows.

2) Change to Neutral style. This turns off the aggressive contrast enhancements present in the Standard Style. Keep the default subsettings (0,0,0,0). This will give you a completely new starting point for the image, and may give you more flexibility in post processing to get what you are looking for. You may need to change the exposure compensation to -2/3 or -1/3 to keep the same level of highlights.

Usually, fewer lights is better for luster presentation. 2 lights at 90-deg (1:30 and 11:30) will excite a luster X on the coin. Fill-in with a well-diffused light somewhere between 3 and 9 depending on what areas are darkest.

Jansjos always need some level of diffusion to avoid "graininess" or "sparklies", so you should be diffusing the lights with tissue or vellum. For the fill-in light, use multiple layers.

Hope this helps and let's see any results!

Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hamm the setting ray is telling you to change. I had the same issue with my canon eos 70d. when I made those changes that ray is telling you to do. I set my eos 70D that same way. it helped me out as well. see ray told me these are factory setting. once I corrected those setting. it made a big difference. hope this all helps. I would still do the firmware update as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hamm that is and excellent photo fix the sharping. you will see a big difference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information Ray and Rocky. Very good suggestions, and when I get the time, I'll give them a try. Ham.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05