Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I might be in the minority here but I do not like the P on the cent.  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
47724 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That may be possible hopefully we are all here to find out...its a crazy world we live in!
True.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the comments above suggesting that the *Lincoln Cent* will end after 2018, or that the one cent coin will end? I just can't see the latter happening. I think the general public would flip out, particularly in the current environment of such corrosive distrust of the government in general. Just think of the conspiracy theories.

Side note: I did not like the shield cent at first, but have come to like it quite a bit. Definitely more artful than the Memorial, which I never liked--too dominantly horizontal. And with reference to one comment above, I would love to see a revival of the wheat back for 2018. That would be super cool. The wheat back Lincoln was a very beautiful coin on obverse and reverse.
Learn More...
United States
47724 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the comments above suggesting that the *Lincoln Cent* will end after 2018, or that the one cent coin will end? I just can't see the latter happening.
The comments are probably, in reality, nothing more than wishful thinking. The cent needed to go NIFC ten or more years ago.

Quote:
I think the general public would flip out, particularly in the current environment of such corrosive distrust of the government in general.
That is never a good excuse to not do the right thing because they are going to flip out over something anyway.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a non-issue for me. I live in Southern California and have yet to see one. Probably won't see one this year unless I travel to the East Coast and the closest I usually get to the Right Coast is Denver visiting the grandkids.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other nations successfully got rid of the cent and they survived. Not doing it because the people will flip out is a weak excuse. I always see corroded shield cents and that's definitely not a good thing. I don't think corroded pieces of metal accurately reflects our country.
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think corroded pieces of metal accurately reflects our country.

Maybe it does "accurately" reflect our country. Falling apart at the seams!

I'm surprised the gov't hasn't declared the shield cent an environmental hazard.

The Mint would do better contracting it out. I've seen better design, engraving and production coming out of 3rd world countries.

China's counterfeits are better then our originals and cheaper!

Sorry, looks like this thread is getting a little side tracked.

Edited by USSID18
08/12/2017 10:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USSID18, I open lots of penny rolls at work everyday. It is appalling how many corroded cents there are...old and new cents! I think they need culled out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think they need culled out.

I agree, you pull out all the corroded cents on your end and I'll do the same on this end, then we just trash them. We'll clean out all the junk in circulation together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doing my part, just pulled these monstrosities!

Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doing my part, just pulled these monstrosities!

Good Man!! I'm right behind you.
Learn More...
United States
47724 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Other nations successfully got rid of the cent and they survived. Not doing it because the people will flip out is a weak excuse. I always see corroded shield cents and that's definitely not a good thing. I don't think corroded pieces of metal accurately reflects our country.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think they need culled out.
You will be happy to know that most cents are used once then discarded already. That is why they have to mint billions yearly, to replace those lost.
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2017  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the P on the cent, either. Too big and ugly and makes the obverse look cluttered. I live on the east coast and if I quickly glance at a cent from change that has a MM, I know it's going to be a D. Not anymore.

But good to hear it's a one-year type coin. That makes it kind of neat.
Edited by jpsned
08/21/2017 11:01 am
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05