Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My rant on coin prices on the Bay .  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe somebody can explain this to me...
I have no other explanation other than what you suggest, which is the thrill of the chase.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1171 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a collector that sells duplicates on eBay, and feel that the prices are going down rather than up. Maybe it's just my area of interest though.
I recently purchased a Morgan dollar on eBay. It was a VAM that has been on my search list for 6 years.
NGC MS63 $46 delivered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9409 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe it's just my narrow area of interest (Canadian silver), but the one thing I've noticed about eBay is that there are almost zero true auctions anymore.

It's moved that way across all the categories. Too many of the true auctions end to low for too many sellers. The other issue is how eBay makes you do the auctions now with the free listings. They used to let you do 1 and 3 day auctions with them which was a good time frame for buyers not to lose interest waiting for it to end. Now the auctions all have to be 5 days or longer or you have to pay an insertion fee.

As Jbuck also mentioned a lot of buyers prefer BIN listings. They'd rather just buy something right away if they see what they want rather than track an auction for a few days that they may or may not win
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's moved that way across all the categories...

As Jbuck also mentioned a lot of buyers prefer BIN listings. They'd rather just buy something right away if they see what they want rather than track an auction for a few days that they may or may not win

Yo de acuerdo. I think the transition represents what buyers prefer in general. Sometimes, the thrill of an auction is enjoyable as a buyer or a seller. I just had a coin end tonight that was a straight auction starting at $0.99. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of a battle at the end. I really think I would have done better if it had been a BIN.

Also, because of the potential worldwide viewership on eBay, setting auction end times is impossible. BIN allows anyone anywhere to purchase something if they wish without worry of missing an auction end.

I've had much more success as a seller across many categories listing items as BIN with Best Offer than straight auction. That's just the market speaking.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
7230 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  11:15 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually list a few items on the bay, and most have stayed there for a while, varieties don't have too large of a following. I incorporate a "buffer" into the price for haggling and to absorb the fees. People who have dealt with me could attest that I am more than accommodating.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."
Edited by oih82w8
10/13/2017 11:20 am
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you're lucky, a Make Offer button

Lucky, eh? A few months ago, I started trying something with eBay items: if I thought the BIN price was too high, I fired off a message asking if the seller would consider an offer on it. Obviously not everybody does, but the number of items I've negotiated/bought because of this is tremendous. There are a lot of hidden offers just waiting to be had out there.

If you try this, your chances of making a deal go up by doing obvious things like referencing lower prices on recently sold items, or buying several things at once.
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It never hurts to ask. If they say no, fair enough. As you say, explore the options. I don't see it as pushy, just savy.
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few months ago, I started trying something with eBay items: if I thought the BIN price was too high, I fired off a message asking if the seller would consider an offer on it. Obviously not everybody does, but the number of items I've negotiated/bought because of this is tremendous. There are a lot of hidden offers just waiting to be had out there.
I agree, it never hurts to ask.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  07:12 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of my thoughts, from a seller's perspective:

1. For the most part, people who do this for a living have a pretty good idea of the market, especially in their area of focus. It is simply pointless to offer things at prices where there will not be a sale. Just because a price guide says 'x', and there was an outlying eBay sale for 'y', and there was auction sale at another price, does not mean any of those are the actual real value. There are far too many subjective elements to coins to have any true, absolute value, at any given time. Nearly all professional dealers need coins to sell to make a living, so if it seems all their prices are too high, it's not because they are foolish and don't want collectors to buy coins, it's because that is the real market.

2. Nearly all dealers have some flexibility on most items. Not all items have the same flexibility. Not all buyers will receive the same flexibility. If you purchase a single small value coin one time, the price on the second coin several months later may be a bit different than the one I quote to a buyer who purchases hundreds of coins a month from me.

3. There is nothing wrong with messaging sellers asking for a better price. There is nothing more frustrating for a seller than someone who don't know telling you coins are overpriced, telling you they know the market better than you, then offering a ridiculous (usually under melt value if silver or gold) price. At least once a month for the past couple of years, I have received some variation of the following two messages: 'No one collects world coins. I can give you 'x', which is what I usually get them for., or 'I always buy this piece for 'x', this is what it worth.'
Boardwalk Numismatics

http://stores.ebay.com/jdmern/
Pillar of the Community
United States
9409 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've had much more success as a seller across many categories listing items as BIN with Best Offer than straight auction. That's just the market speaking

I agree. I don't even bother trying 99 cent auctions anymore. Got old fast basically giving things away

Quote:
There is nothing more frustrating for a seller than someone who don't know telling you coins are overpriced, telling you they know the market better than you, then offering a ridiculous (usually under melt value if silver or gold) price. At least once a month for the past couple of years, I have received some variation of the following two messages: 'No one collects world coins. I can give you 'x', which is what I usually get them for., or 'I always buy this piece for 'x', this is what it worth.'

It's even more fun when they act like they're doing you a favor by even offering that. I always view messages like that as an acknowledgement that the coin the are messaging about it much better than they usually see, after all why not go buy all those other ones they can supposedly get at a lower price instead of messaging
Edited by basebal21
10/14/2017 07:23 am
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05