Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CONTEST - Win Morgan $ - Ancient - Bag of Tokens - Bag of World - US Commem  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This contest will end tomorrow.

Probably afternoon or early evening.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCC, dig your write up about composition. Interesting and informative!
Always collecting silver wartime Jefferson nickels '42-'45!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@casualcoincollector

I really enjoyed reading that and learned from it! I agree with the suggestion of expanding it to more detailed information and creating a .pdf presentation that can be downloaded here (you will have to contact bobby131313 for that part).

@mcshilling

I have one of those pennies and just thought it was an artsy design and never knew it was part of a set! It's an interesting idea and I may have to put a set together myself.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  04:04 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

@scopru and spruett001,

Quote:
Nice job casual. Might I suggest making that a .pdf and having it added to the tutorial manuals section. I understand you mention your post is an overview, so if there is more to add perhaps a more detailed manual. I found it a very interesting posting.

Quote:
I really enjoyed reading that and learned from it! I agree with the suggestion of expanding it to more detailed information and creating a .pdf presentation that can be downloaded here (you will have to contact bobby131313 for that part).

I really like that idea and that’s something that I will be looking into down the road but before I pursue anything like that I’m going to need to do a bit more research to try and sure up some of the unconfirmed data and to try to figure out whether or not I am missing any materials before I’m willing to try to have something added as an official reference material.
Edited by casualcoincollector
12/07/2017 04:08 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be listing the articles in order of place later today.

I will email the first place and let them choose their choice of prizes, then I will continue to work on the list.

TWO IMPORTANT NOTES When you email me back with your mailing address please be sure to give me your forum name. I actually had a trying time yesterday before I realized I was getting PM's from two different CCF members with the same first name. I was one confused bird.

Second, please pick your prize as soon as you are able so I can contact the next winner with their choices.

Again, my sincere thanks to everyone who made the time to submit or comment to make my 10K party a memorable experience.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6 Winners and 5 awarded no prize was a terrible way to spend the last couple hours. I enjoyed all of the 11 contributions, and I suppose I can feel good about 6 prizes instead of only one, which is more often encountered for contests.

Contest winners will be PM'ed in order so each winner can pick the remaining item they like best.

Please note that I really did dig into each article as I said I would. As I name each winner I will also have a few notes to share that might be of benefit for us all, me included. Please, if any of my suggestions seem trite, understand that I really am offering those comments as positive observations – not as a negative toward anyone.

#1 First Place Winner – casualcoincollector for Materials Used in Circulating Coins and Tokens. Note that part of boosting this to a first place position was a goodly number of PM’s that I received that championed this article. Obviously since you are #1 I have nothing bad to say. I do think you can progress with this article to the point that it could serve as a stock reference for this subject.
I have but three suggestions. First, make sure everything is in exact alphabetical order. While I realize that might already be your intention, it’s good to take care of that when you have a free hour. Collectors are notoriously incensed by things out of order.
Second, I believe having the photos followed directly by that items written descriptions would be preferable as one can view the example as they read.
Third, I did not spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it, but I did notice some materials that were not included. Brass, bronze, plastic (Not the Keeling-Cocos type, but “regular” plasticized plastic), Bakelite, Steel, and Electrum.
If you decide to form this into an article I would be happy to proof read it for you.
-----
#2 Second Place Winner – oih82w8 for Cherry Picking Coin Varieties. Excellent introduction into a giant field. I might suggest an article that deals directly with the most common finds for today’s average roll hunter. It would be great to have a condensed version of what dates and mint marks to look for with the keys for finding them. I realize that there are a billion site photos available, but such an article might cover ONLY those varieties that have some true collector value.
In other words, we don’t need to know about a doubled die that you need a billboard size photo to see. More in line of those that are more obvious and usually more valuable. I’d sure use such a “cheater’s list”.
-----
#3 Third Place Winner – Crazyb0 for Die Deterioration Doubling and VLDS Effects.
You obviously know your subject matter intimately. Your examples and photos are first rate, as are your example displays. You know all the words and have a great vocabulary, but the sentence and paragraph structure could use a few tweaks here and there. I love how you make something very complex very simple. If you would ever like a second set of eyes to read through your work I’d be happy to do so.
----
#4 Fourth Place Winner – ElonU for The Elder.
I really wasn’t sure where you were going. I was even confused by your initial inclusion of “diamond”. You kept an air of mystery that kept me reading, trying to get to the answer. When it came, I must say I was surprised by my own emotional response. The last line was spine tingling. The only single suggestion I could make would be to include a photograph of an older person (you?) with a younger person across the table, both with magnifying glass in hand.
The only problem with the photo would be that it would tell us where you were going too soon. Forget the photo. I loved it just as it was.
-----
#5 Fifth Place Winner – Earle42 for A Whole half disme.
It was just plain fun. Silly and fun. I have no suggestions. I just enjoyed it. You were able to take something that really couldn’t be made into something fun and did it anyway.
----
#6 – Sixth Place Winner – Dennman for My Most Prized Collectible.
Short and sweet. Whenever we see your name, we will remember what you have said and where it came from. Attaching an inanimate object like a coin to a special feeling and remembrance isn’t something done easily. We can only hope that when others read your article they will be able to stop and remember too.

I’ll be sure to think up some more contests as time goes by so that I can happily relocate a few hundred pounds of “stuff”. Thanks to you all, again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun contest and lots of very interesting reading! Congrats to the winners.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First place winner has been PM'ed.
Valued Member
Canada
263 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations to the other 5 entrants.There were some well researched,thought out and presented entries.
I'm surprised that my wee tale has garnered a 6th place prize in this stiff competition.I have thought of that tale for many,many years and it's great to have found a group that can appreciate it.Now I'll have an addendum when I think of that time almost 70 yrs. ago.
Thank you for the contest,moxking and this opportunity to rethink old memories.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done to every entrant!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
7292 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to not only the top six finishers, but to all who took the time and put something together to share with the forum!

It was good to get back into writing. This was my first attempt since finishing my Aeronautics Master of Science Degree Capstone.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."
Edited by oih82w8
12/07/2017 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too cool! Congrats everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, and Moxking......I forgot to post a pic of the "loupe" I mentioned in that story. I misplaced it, but found it last night. It's brass and was "made in West Germany". It's a pretty cool piece and my Grandfather wrote his initials on the inside of the case.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That's a seriously cool item. I hope you will have someone to pass it on to.

I have my grandfather's big giant heavy glass magnifier too, but I sure can't stick it in my pocket. Definitely an at home use monster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mox, yes....I have both a son and daughter. It will wind up in the possession of one! I'll post a pic of it later.
Edited by ElonU
12/07/2017 4:28 pm
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05