Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Satin Finish  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2017  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ross Son to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! You make my Lincoln cent album look very very crappy.

Except the steel ones which I think it is comparable to yours.

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakeman406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the lincoln cents in the 2009 uncirculated mint set the 95% copper composite or just the proof sets ? thank you
Learn More...
United States
44204 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the mint set coins were also 95% copper.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TVG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this thread on Google in regards to the satin finish coins. Most of this information has been corrected throughout the course of the thread. But to clarify - the 94 and 97 nickels (found in the Thomas Jefferson Coinage and Currency and Botanic Gardens Coinage and Currency mint sets) are both considered close to matte proofs in quality. The 98 Kennedy half (found in the 2 coin Kennedy Collectors Set) is described as a true matte proof. However most TPG don't mention proof on the labels - all three coins are designated by SMS or SP on the label.

From what I've heard, the satin finishes were stopped in 2010 because they were often temperamental. The coins take much less rubbing to scuff the satin finish than their non-satin counterparts.

Putting together sets, it seems like the satins are a double-edged sword. The satins are more difficult to find without scuffed finishes but usually have less brown spots. The non-stains usually are easier to find un-scuffed but often have quite a bit more spotting - particularly on the brass dollars and cents.

I'm in the process of putting together Presidential dollars and Native American dollars with both satin and non-satin in both position A and B - that means 128 coins just for years 2007-2010 Presidential dollars - binders are pretty heavy :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm working on putting a few modern sets together and can definitely tell you that finding high grade business strikes in the 2005 to 2010 range is much more difficult than finding high grade satin strikes. I look for business strikes that have as few nicks as possible and as much of the mirror like finish as possible. I want it to be obvious to non-collectors who look at the coins that there is a difference.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05