Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can we post a complete commemorative collection?  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 49
Pillar of the Community
United States
5063 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still have the $5 on my want list

Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious about collecting strategies on modern commems. When I started collecting them, I kinda liked having all the OGP that came with them. But now that's taking up a lot of room. And I'm noticing that slabbed modern commems from big dealers can sometimes be equivalent to the Mint price.

So do you buy direct from Mint or do you go slabbed?
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually buy OGP within my budget. Not necessarily from the mint, I won't buy a slabbed coin unless it's less expensive than one in OGP, I do have a few slabs in my collection.
I kinda think if you buy a coin in a slab you pay for the slab and not the coin.
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
04/15/2018 4:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6159 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm curious about collecting strategies on modern commems.

I pursued these for about 5 years (2010-2015) and realized that my US Mint purchases were almost always available for less on the secondary market ... with the full OGP if that means anything to you.

I personally tired of the pursuit and have subsequently sold them all ... my experience is that if you can resist the need to 'have it now' via the Mint sales program you can get the exact same coins approximately 6 months later at a reduced cost.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24401 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, generally. Eventually the Mint will choke you and your budget if you let it - that's the whole point of mass marketing.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
5063 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the best example but it's mine

Pillar of the Community
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Muddler. One I don't have. :(
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6159 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy Robert Aitken design of the Missouri half ... to my eye the coin has the bold, high relief look of classic medals ... not surprising given that Aitken was a medalist and sculptor.

Being a member of the 'Pre-Depression' era of classic silver commemorative, the coin can be obtained in the marketplace in circulated state. My example is Pop 3/1, with a single FR02 example graded lower.

1921 Missouri Centennial Half Dollar - PCGS AG03

Enjoy
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14209 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was born in Missouri and spent my a good part of my childhood in Maryville. My grandparents owned an antique store, and every one of my relatives collected something. So this was an important piece for me. I was collecting before I was talking!!

Rather than going for the grade only for the Missouri, as I did with some of my CSC I wanted two things on the Missouri. First, I didn't want the weird halo on the obverse around the bust to be too distracting. On many issues, that halo is so pronounced it takes away some of the beauty, in my opinion.

Second I wanted a good strong strike.

This one has some natural toning which I didn't find objectionable, as the reverse strike made up for a lot.

Here's what I finally decided on (please note that this PCGS holder needs a good buffing to remove a million little scratches).

Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Moxking - small world, I spent a lot of my childhood just south of you in St. Joseph. I remember we used to go to marching band competitions in Maryville.

I've had the Missouri on my list for a long time but still haven't found one I liked that I can also afford. Someday ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5063 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the Monroe was one of my first commemoratives. I've probably had it 40 years.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14209 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my very least favorite CSC. With the price jump so large from a 64 to a 65 I couldn't bring myself to put that money into a coin I just don't like. Even 64's are hard to find with anything remotely resembling a good strike on the obverse, and the 65's are no better.

One of those "have to get it" coins to complete the set.

Edited by moxking
04/17/2018 09:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6159 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of those "have to get it" coins to complete the set.

Completely agree ... and I'll include the 1926 Sesquicentennial Half in the same category, although at least the Sesqui was produced to commemorate an event of national significance unlike the Monroe Doctrine which was issues by an for the California film industry.

Both coins IMHO are aesthetic disasters ... simple choose an acceptable example of each and move on.

Or .... choose a truly worn lowball ... then you'll have less ugly coin to look at.

1923-S Monroe Doctrine Centennial Half Dollar - PCGS FR02

Enjoy
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/17/2018 11:06 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...at least the Sesqui was produced to commemorate an event of national significance unlike the Monroe Doctrine which was issues by an for the California film industry.

That's very interesting. Wikipedia has a lot of information on this topic, including how the reverse design was allegedly lifted from Raphael Beck's design for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition.

Quote:
Both coins IMHO are aesthetic disasters

I'd always found the reverse design rather intriguing. Now I know why. This coin was on my long list, but with this revelation I don't know if I'm more interested in having one or less.
Working on: Franklin halves (early proofs), Peace dollars (62-63), US type (now back to Bust era)

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14209 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel Searcher - I dare say I like your slicky better than my 64. Less to see, less offensive
Page: of 49 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05