Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Difference Between 1976 Type 1 and Type 2 IKE Dollars

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Gold Certificates
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  09:12 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gold Certificates to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone!
Would any one be able to post pictures to show me the difference between the Type I and the Type II Ike dollars? I'm having some difficulty being able to tell the difference. My coin dealer said something about the letters on the reverse?

Thank you very much!
Ben

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mila_cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the 2008 Red Book it shows you the difference on page 219.

mila_
Edited by Mila_cent
09/24/2007 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8723 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the picture that Milla_cent posted. I always key in on the tail of the second S in STATES. On the type I the point of the S reaches halfway up the E. On the type II it barely reaches the top of the bottom bar of the E. Once you learn to recognize how high that type I goes, that is all you need. It becomes an arms length variety and you never have to compare it to another picture or another coin.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you know I never checked mine I had but mine in my 7070 album in the Variety 1. I don't know why I never checked it before, I guess I really never even thought about it

Pillar Of The Community
United States
11188 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  6:11 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read from one publication that the 1976 dollars were made with the sharper letters. (Type II) So the Type I's must have been made in 1975? (They made the quarter, half and Ike dollar Centennial coins both years 75 & 76.)
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2007  6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it says in the RedBook that they changed the design early in 1975 to the type II so if they are correct then all of the ones minted in 76 should be the type II
Edited by Bryan1315
09/24/2007 6:26 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05