Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Wanted Information about New Zealand coins

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2007  8:25 pm Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I sort a lot of 20 pieces and see a lot of New Zealand ones -surprising how many must be circulating in Australia. I throw them right back in the change.
However, the other day I came across a 1964 NZ florin in quite good condition. I can't remember how long it would be since I saw an Australian florin in circulation -quite a few years. I would keep any Australian florin I came across and will keep this one.
This got me thinking -are there any particular years or varieties of new Zealand coins I should keep an eye out for. [Just like I would grab any 1985 or 2004 'big head' Australian 20.)
Any information or links would be much appreciated. A quick internet search didn't turn up anything useful.
thanks
Jeff

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10721 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2007  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand predecimal coins, especially sixpences, shillings and florins, were commonly found in change over there, right up to the recent coinage reforms. The size, weight and especially composition were identical to that of their decimal counterparts. The florin, especially, was readily accepted, because the design (a kiwi) was basically identical to the NZ 20. And why shouldn't they have continued to circulate? Cupronickel coins were designed to last a long time in circulation.

The same situation applied in Britain, where predecimal shillings (5p) and florins (10p) continued to circulate right up to British coinage shrinking in the early 1990's. The only reason the same thing didn't happen here in Australia, is that our predecimal "silver" coins really were made of silver, not just cupronickel - thus there was a financial incentive for individuals, and for the Reserve Bank, to fish them out of circulation quickly.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10721 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2007  08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for finding scarce and valuable New Zealand coins, until very recently, there basically weren't any.

The predecimal series doesn't have any scarce dates, apart from the famous "Waitangi" crown of 1935. Pre-1946 "silver" coins are actually silver, like 1947-1963 Australian ones. The predecimals with the lowest mintages are the 1963 florin (100k), 1940 Centennial halfcrown (100k) and the 'regular' halfcrowns of 1944 (180k), 1953 (120k) and 1961 (80k).

Decimals are a bit more interesting. Of note are the two "international mules", the NZ 2/Bahamas 5 mule circa 1967 and the NZ 50/Canada $1 of 1985; the former is famous but still fairly cheap (est. mintage 50k); the latter is much scarcer but is rarely heard about (only 6 known).

When NZ reformed it's coinage in 2006, it was announced that all but a handful of the freshly-minted 5 coins dated 2004 and old-size 50 dated 2005 held in stock by the Reserve Bank would be melted down; this created a frenzy of interest in New Zealand coins generally and the "lost dates" in particular.

It seems the frenzy hasn't abated yet. Example in extremis: Here's a TradeMe auction right now for three 2004 5 and one 2005 50; currently at NZ$151 with 58 bids...

There are other varieties in the later decimal series, which aren't listed in Krause but are also becoming popular. Do a forum search for "New Zealand" here on Coin Community, with the "archived posts" box checked, and you'll find several threads of interest, like this one about errors and varieties of 5.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2007  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there are a few predecimal coins that are somewhat valuable. The 1956 "Strapless" penny mintage estimated at 50K. The 1935 3-pence mintage of 40k. And there are a few others. But as Sap mentioned none of the current coins are worth much except for the mules.

The key coin to all of NZ would be the 1935 Waitangi crown that Sap mentioned. With a mintage of only 1,128 (660 circ and 468 proofs) I dream of owning one. Hopefully one day I will.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2007  07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blueczar1512 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also suprised how many NZ coins turn up - I have 9 NZ 20c pieces of different years since I decided to start saving them.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2007  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am now starting an NZ 20 collection rather than just putting them back in the change. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get most years.
Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Valued Member
Malaysia
59 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2007  03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sakura to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I came to understand that getting this NZ 10 cent piece is a tough challenge.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5200 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2007  7:04 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1939 New Zealand 3 pence coin, with crossed pistols on the reverse, could someone give me a little info on this coin?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2007  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The things on New Zealands 3 pence are two carved patu (Maori weapons) crossed with lanyards or throngs attached, with "3d" between their blades

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5200 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2007  1:46 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, onejinx.... Do you have any idea of value? Its about fine plus condition.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2142 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2007  2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of which, I just pulled a 1985 kiwi 20 cents coin from circulation yesterday.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2007  5:41 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well in one week keeping an eye out for NZ 20, I now have 9 different years They are certainly common in Oz.
Maybe I will see how many Fiji coins I can get too -surprisingly they do not seem to appear much although lots of Australians visit Fiji and must come back with a pocketful.
Jeff
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2007  8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blueczar1512 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you also get PNG coins in circulation occasionally
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2007  7:13 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, another week has gone and I now have 19 different NZ 20 from 1967 to 2002. Also, I found a 1948 florin in around very fine condition!
And, only one Fijian so far.

Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2007  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got 25 rolls of circulated Australian 5 cent pieces to open, looking for error. I can guarantee at least half a dozen NZ 5 cent pieces will be amongst them. I keep them all.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2007  3:20 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am up to 20 different date NZ 20, two florins, 1 50 piece, 2 10 and 2 5. Also 2 Fiji 50 and only one Fiji 20.

I am going to Fiji next year -maybe I should see how many I can find. They still have 1 & 2 coins.

Jeff
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05