Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

tokens large assortment

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2007  10:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blueczar1512 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

These all came with a large lot of world coins. I don't know anything about tokens so I was wondering what is their value?

Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2007  10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well not all of them are tokens. There are a lot of world coins in the mix as well. I don't think any of em are of any value. The might be a silver one in the mix too.

Where'd ya get em?
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2007  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blueczar1512 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a collection from South Australia. There are some things which look like coins that arent - like the 'decimal token coin' from Hong Kong, but I didnt think any were actual coins?
Learn More...
Australia
11181 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2007  04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's certainly a broad collection of Australian and world exonumia there. The only ones that might be coins are the "10 centavos" in the top left corner and the corroded one 4 down 3 across with the Peruvian coat of arms on it. Here's a selection of the kinds of things you've got:

E.W. Cole Tokens - the big aluminium one 2 down, three across, and the gilt-bronze one 7 down 3 across. These were issued by E.W. Cole as advertising pieces for his shop, the Coles Book Arcade. Mr Cole was somewhat of a progressive idealist, and all his "tokens" have a little political or philosophical message on them.

Government-issued souvenir medals: the large one 6 down 7 across, and the brassy one with the loop at 8 down 3 across. These were given away to every schoolchild in the country to mark significant national events. As a result, they're not too rare.

Foreign tokens: There's a Polish telephone token at 4 down 7 across (with a horn on it), a Danish token at 6 down 1 across, and a couple of others.

Barber Check: The one marked "O G & Co" is an Osborne Garrett & Co barber check, for use in a barber shop. Used throughout the British Commonwealth, I believe - they turn up in the UK, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand. Cheap enopugh (especially in that grade) but more interesting than the "normal" type of foreign token.

Holloways Token: 9 down 1 across. "Professor" Thomas Holloway was, frankly, a supreme "snake-oil" scam artist, flogging his pills and ointments worldwide as cure-alls. He was a pioneer of the marketing strategy (used nowadays by McDonalds, Coca-Cola and such) where saturation advertising created a demand for his products, which he was then happy to fill. Though originally produced for England, Holloway's tokens are quite commonly found in Australia, though many are in corroded condition. That's because most of those used here were recovered from the wreck of the Dunbar.

Play Money: the "two pence" at 10 down 3 across, the little aluminium piece at 9 down 5 across, the tiny "sovereign" at 4 down 3 across, the "5 cents" at 5 down 9 across, and others. Not much value there, but still of interest to some collectors.

Counterfeits: There's a fake guinea at 3 down 2 across. A real guinea would look a lot more gold-like than that.

Australian tokens: Abberfield Industries at bottom row 3 across, a local maker of tokens for use in turnstiles, car washes, car parks, that sort of thing. They probably also made the "Johnny Green" piece at 9 down 6 across. At 4 down 1 across, there's also an older advertising piece from E. Way, a Sydney-based store.

Religious medals: 2 down 1 across, 8 down 4 across and others. Not too much demand from collectors, because they can't normally be pinned down to a specific time period. Also kind of in this category is a Mark Mason's Token (9 down 2 across).

British medals: the three large ones in the bottom right corner, "Thames Tunnel" at 3 down 1 across, and others.

Australian medals: historically the most interesting, and potentially the most valuable, items you've picked up there. There's some common ones (1 down 2 across, 7 down 5 across / 10 down 4 across, the shield-shaped one 5 down 3 across, bottom left corner and some modern pieces over on the left hand side), a couple of Boer War pieces (7 down 2 across and 8 down 1 across) as well as some scarcer ones, at least we don't see them too often here in Queensland: Jubilee Methodist Church of South Australia (bottom row 2 across) is fairly cheap, but the Adelaide Exhibition pieces (10 down 1 across and 8 down 2 across) are scarcer.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2007  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blueczar1512 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, thats amazing! thanks! I'm planning to auction them all on eBay and this will help me break them up. I quite like the coronation medals but exonumia isnt really my thing. This wasnt even all of them - there were alot of other Adelaide Advertiser commemorative tokens for the Ashes and other sporting events too.

I cleaned up the peruvian coin a little with water and the date seems to be 1909 so I think it is http://(131231) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed /countries/coin.php?image=img11/141-204&desc=Peru%20km204%201%20Dinero%20(1893-1916) The Argentine 10 centavos coin seems fake though, it is really shiny silver instead of the gold colour that is supposed to be http://(131231) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed /countries/coin.php?image=img7/7-16&desc=Argentina%20km41%2010%20Centavos%20(1942-1950)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05