Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Century Silver Coins of China

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2007  9:51 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add OrDirtDevil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Need some help on something I know nothing about. I collect mainly US coinage. But today we went to a antique shop looking for some bar signs and memorbilia. One one table they had a album that read "Century Silver coins of China". I took one out and held it on the tips of my fingers and that destinctive silver ring rang out. So I was 99% sure they were actually silver coins.

Tag inside said Chinese Silver dollars from 1850-1949. In all there were 72 coins and the price was right. I asked the lady about them and she said she knew nothing about that both other then a older lady was selling off some of her late husbands things. She said she bought in all kind of US coins that went fast to a dealer.

She said she brought these in this morning along with the tokens that were there. I wasn't interested in the transit token but may go back to see what she has with my book for reference. I didn;t want to take a chance on the China silver coins at this price. If they are silver scrap would be 10 times what I paid for them.

I only see one with a date and thats 1867 and it says One Dollar on it. I did search some on eBay and a couple I could find were going for between $100 and $200 in XF condition. Here are a few pictures of a couple. The weigh in differently on my scale. None weigh in at the 26 grams I seem posted on another post. Most are between 19 and 21 grams.

Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing about these coins.

Image: 1867OneTael.jpg
43.02 KB

Image: 34PeiYang.jpg
62.47 KB

Image: AlbumPages.jpg
59.16 KB

Learn More...
Australia
11185 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2007  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At that weight, they'd all be base-metal reproductions. These things are imported in bulk from China, where counterfeiting old coins is not only perfectly legal, it's a major cottage industry.

The tael is supposed to be even heavier than a dollar, at around 32 grams. I'm not even sure if that particular design was ever actually issued; if it was, they're extremely rare. The only reference I could find to it was here on zeno.ru's catalogue of fantasy pieces.

And sadly, many of the Chinese dollars you see for sale on eBay are fakes, too. Especially if being sold from China.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2199 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2007  7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are usually base metal counterfeits. Check to see if they are magnetic. If they are, you know they are either steel or nickel which means they aren't silver and therefore a bad counerfeit.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
China
3 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2007  03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljcarl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even in china, it's hard to distinct real and fake old silver coins. If your coins are real, they worth so much.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2007  03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OrDirtDevil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I would say they aren't real as everyone of them will stick to a magnet. Not sure if there is any value to them as replicas to anyone. There does seem to be some really nice in the mix, 72 in all. thnaks for all the help everyone. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05