Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Schützenfest Medals

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  1:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

I have been collecting schützenfest medals for 25 years and love the hobby. I also collect schützenfest cups and other memorabilia.

I was wondering if there are any other members here who are fellow collectors of Swiss shooting medals or who may have interest?

I'd love to hear from you and hopefully make this thread an interesting discussion involving many members.

Edited by schutzenfester
02/09/2008 2:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 Federal Schützenfest in Geneve

Mintage: 39,030 (high mintage for Swiss shooting medals, making this medal relatively common)

Metal: Silver (there was also 12 example in Gold, and 4,354 examples struck in Bronze)

Size: 45mm (the most common size for schützenfest medals although many different sizes are struck for various medals)

Engraver: H. Bovy, C. Richard, E. Lossier of Genve

Edited by schutzenfester
02/09/2008 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite an attractive medal, and I'm very impressed with the engraving work!
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The artistic qualities of schützenfest medals are fantastic. The engraving and relief on most medals are far superior to most coins and is one of the reasons I collect them.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another medal: Cantonal shoot in Binningen, Basel 1893

Mintage: 705 examples
Metal: Silver
Size: 45mm
Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern / Karl Jauslin, Muttenz

Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful medal. Could you possibly show a couple more?
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure can...I would like to have people gain interest in this wonderful numismatic specific hobby. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I will answer if I can give a qualified one.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a medal from Frauenfeld, Canton Thurgau, 1890. It is from the Federal shoot held there.

Mintage: unique
Metal: gold
Engraver: Stefano Johnson, Milano

Edited by schutzenfester
02/09/2008 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Binningen medal has great relief of an interesting scene--the soldier has taken two crossbow bolts and appears to be on his "last stand", armed with only a rock. There must be a story behind that one.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2008  5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot: Cantonal Schützenfest

Year: 1894

Mintage: 1,452

Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you Kurt looks like a fight to the death. Awesome medal that one.

Hey Schutz are these medals still being made today?
Pillar of the Community
1194 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The Binningen medal has great relief of an interesting scene--the soldier has taken two crossbow bolts and appears to be on his "last stand", armed with only a rock. There must be a story behind that one.

Refers to the battle near St. Jakob an der Birs, in 1444. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle..._an_der_Birs After the battle, one of the Armagnac soldiers, some cavalry captain, saw the dead and dying and their blood and said "Heute baden wir in Rosen" ("Today we bathe in roses"). And a heavily wounded soldier from Uri replied "Da, friss eine der Rosen" ("There, eat one of the roses") and killed him by throwing that stone or rock at him. Partly history, partly saga - more in German is here http://www.sagen.at/texte/sagen/sch...ob_birs.html

The same scene can be found on a 1944 Swiss 5 Fr coin:
http://shop.muenzenborchert.ch/popu...=481&imgID=0

Christian
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Southern Yankee -

To answer your question;

Yes, shooting medals are struck today for schutzenfests but they do not have the detail of engraving as they once did , as you see here in a few pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen some nice modern medals but my main collecting focus is pre-1935.
Edited by schutzenfester
02/10/2008 08:36 am
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another nice medal, it is somewhat common as all the previous silver medals have been and likewise it is 45mm in size.

From the 1895 Federal Shoot in Canton Zurich, Winterthur

Mintage: 5,060 examples
-There were 44 examples in Gold, 3,710 examples in Bronze and even a rare Gold plated Bronze version.

Engraver: Georges Hantz, Genf / H. Wildermuth, Winterthur

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another for viewing:

From the 1897 Cantonal Shoot in Olten, Canton Solothurn

Metal: Bronze

Mintage: unknown (common)

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
schutzenfester - Great medals! What reference books do you use to research these?
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05