Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Schützenfest Medals

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks snowman -

Until late 2005 I almost exclusively used "Swiss Shooting Medals" by Jean L. Martin. Published in Lausanne 1972. This publication was the most comprehensive catalog available on Swiss shooting medals. It contains over 1150 medals with obverse and reverse pictures. All pictures are actual size, black and white photos. While other books are available and I do own the Martin catalog was considered the 'bible' until the Richter catalog was published.

In 2005 a new book was published "Die Schutzentaler und Schutzenmedaillen der Schweiz" and "Die Schutzenjetons der Schweis" by Jurg Richter are the most concise catalogs of Swiss shooting medals, talers and jetons presently available. The new 'bible' of schützenfest medals.

This is a two volume set covering issues up to 1960. The shooting medal catalog is 405 pages and the jeton catalog is 120 pages.

I use both the Martin and Richter catalogs extensively in my hobby. Both are in German but are extremely valuable resources in schützenfest medal collecting.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little history FYI -

Shooting competitions were/are a way of life in the Germanic regions of Europe, especially in Switzerland. The initial Swiss Federal Shooting Festival (Eidgenössisches Schützenfest) was held in 1824. Federal contests along with cantonal, city, and club competitions have continued through to the present day.

Various awards for marksmanship have been won by the competitors. Shooting medals and shooting cups are the most common forms of award. Books illustrating and listing these awards have been published in Switzerland.

Swiss shooting medals were struck in a variety of metals including gold, silver, bronze, white metal and aluminum, with silver being the most common. Mintages are very low with the average mintage of the 45mm silver being 700-800 pieces. The scarcity of medals has increased over the years due to the awards being melted for bullion, being lost, and general attrition. The size of most medals range from 23 millimeters to 62 millimeters with 45 mm being the most prevalent.

I hope the above information sheds a little light upon the subject...
Edited by schutzenfester
02/10/2008 9:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2008  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interesting history Rod! I'll also mention how the theme of most of these medals stresses protection of their confederation, such as "Allzeit Bereit" ie. "ready at any moment". Many Kantons once had a mercenary tradition (fighting for external states for pay), but more recently these competitions serve to bolster the skill of their voluntary army, who wouldn't otherwise have much practice at marksmanship.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a rare medal from Zug, 1827

Canton: Zug

Year: 1827

Metal: Silver

Size: 40mm

Mintage: around 150 examples

Engraver: Johann Casper Bruppacher, Luzern

Edited by schutzenfester
02/16/2008 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another...

Central Switzerland Schützenfest

Canton: Luzern

Year: 1889

Size: 45mm

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Genf / J. Bossard, Luzern

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Christian,
Thanks for the history! Years ago, I spent a lot of time in Switzerland, but I have yet to learn the detailed history.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SecretGlitch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have got to say that these are some of the best looking medals I've ever seen. I can easily see why anyone would want to collect these.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot: Cantonal Shoot, Ebnat-Kappel

Canton: St. Gallen

Year: 1891

Mintage: 700 examples

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Louis Furet, Genf / J. Stauffacher

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot: Cantonal, held in Sissach

Canton: Basel

Year: 1897

Mintage: 650 examples

Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cantonal Shoot Baden, Aargau 1896

Mintage: 850 examples

Suze: 45mm

Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CCya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know next to nothing about these but reall love the different designs. Picked this one up recently.
Would you tell me the mintage of it?
Thanks in advance.
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_ite...Lot_No=81693
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your new schützenfest medal CCya

Medal Information:

Federal Schützenfest in Glarus, 1892

Martin Number: M432

Richter Number: R808

Mintage: 3,375

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

Your medal is a common shooting medal that was also minted in various metals:
gold: 55 examples
Matte Silver
Gold Plated Bronze
Bronze: 1,912 examples
White Metal

Until just about 2 years ago the market value of this medal in EF-AU condition would have been $25-$35 but since the publication of the new Richter catalog (that has valuations) the medal's value has increased to $50-$70.

I hope that I have enlightened you about your fine medal. I hope you continue collecting Swiss shooting medals, I think you will enjoy yourself. I can help you with resources if you would like; inventory, reference books etc.
Edited by schutzenfester
02/29/2008 9:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CCya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Rod! I'm at work and I.T. has your photo site blocked. Can't wait to get home and view this thread complete with pics.

Hoo Boy! I need another area of collecting like I need a hole in my head!
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schutzenfester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canton: Basel - Cantonal Shoot held in Basel 1900

Metal: Bronze (rare) *This medla is more common in silver

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

Switzerland
30 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CMG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Schutzenfest- Nice to see the International interest in our Medals. Sadly, there aint alot of interest in these here, and the market prices have been dropping slowly.... :-( what Richter Catalog are you using to value them? The new one (2007) ? Greets from Helvetia
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05