Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Eisenhower Dollars - Type 1,2, and 3?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  2:49 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dhughesz28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all. I have a question on Eisenhower dollars. I see that there are 3 types of the 1972 Ike dollar. Could someone tell me how to tell the difference between the 3 types?

The reason I ask is because I just picked up $40 dollars worth of these dollars. 12 were bicentennial and the rest were 1972's. Trying to figure out if I have anything of value.

Are the 1776-1976's worth holding onto, or arethese just like the bicentennial quarters? Thanks!

Edited by Dhughesz28
04/12/2008 2:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kceb10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont know about the type 1,2,3 but the bicentennial's are not worth much more than a $1 I'd say they are just like the quarters
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 types refer to the reverse master hub designs. There were 3 different reverse designs used in 1972.

Type 1 low relief was used on all 1972 p&d coins from Jan. through Aug.

Type 2 high relief was a 1972 proof die used at San Fran mint that was mistakenly used at the Philly mint. Only one die was used.

Type 3 high relief was used from Sept. through Dec. New die steel strength is the cause of the 3rd reverse to be created. And was used for the rest of the years with the exception of the bicentennial reverse.

type 1 earth

type 1 eye

type 1 breast feathers

type 1 wing feathers

type 1 craters

type 2 earth

type 2 & type 3 breast and wing feathers. The feathers have been smoothed out and the raised lines at the edge of the wing feathers are gone.

type 2 & type 3 eye. The 2 lines above the eye are no longer there.

type 2 craters. The crater walls have been smoothed.

type 3 earth

type 3 craters. 2 small craters are inside the crater right above the L in dollar.

I hope this somewhat helps. Good luck with search.
Learn More...
United States
21552 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome pictures, Mike!

Here is a link I have saved:
http://www.supercoin.com/iketypes/
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also two types in the '76 Ike
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck's article says Type 2 has no distinct islands off Florida, but SY's darkened picture of the earth appears to show some islands. What are the best features to look for to identify the Type 2? The craters? We can't use the eagle's eye or feathers because those features are shared by Type 2 and 3. I could use some help on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type 1 & 3 show3 3 islands that are raised above the surrounding ocean. The type 3 shows the islands more to the west of Florida than the type 1.
Type 2 shows just the 1 island. The line around the island is incused to make it look like an island. The island and the ocean are at the same level. Here is another look at the type 2.

Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SY -- those new pics of the Type 2 earth help a lot.
I'd better check my Ike stash once more :-)

What optical gadget did you use to get those pictures?
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad I could help. I use a canon s2is with a raynox M-250 macro lens. The lens is fairly new so now I have to figure out the right setup for it. It's different than my other lenses.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05