Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1975 US Cent | silver colored?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  1:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chaotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Ok, first i'll tell you the story... I have had this coin since I was about 8yrs old... I'm 24 yrs old now, I found it in some change and because it looked odd I've kept it ever since...

It is a 1975 penny that is composed of some silver material... weather it be Nickel, Steel, or Aluminum I do not know...

I have scowered the internet trying to find SOMETHING about it... however I have found very little...

I do know that in 1974 they did a test printing of aluminum pennies listed at this linkg...
http://www.uspatterns.com/p2084.html

What I recently found is that they actually printed 66 aluminum pennies in 1975 also.
http://uspatterns.com/j2155.html

While I SERIOUSLY doubt that my coin is in fact one of the 66 coins produced... simply because the odds of that are fewer than winning the lottery, I still am amused, excited, curious... whatever it may be.. I wanna know what this coin is...

I put it against a magnet, it does not stick... it is not paint because the thickness of the penny is the same as a regular penny I measured with a micrometer...

How can I find out what type of metal it is... and could it be possible that it is electro-plated? Wouldnt the thickness of the penny increase with electro-plating?

Edited by Sap
04/22/2008 06:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jays-Dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is aluminum, it would be notably lighter than a regular cent, you could weigh it. However, aluminum coins have a look to them, far more dull than shiny. It is probably electroplated which would technically increase the thickness, but electroplating involves covering in a layer that is really thin and making it stick using the "electrical" properties of the different metals involved. Electroplating adds VERY little metal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weighing on a good scale should decide whether it's plated or solid metal. I could not find the exact weight for an Al cent, but it should be significantly less.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chaotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and find a scale I can weigh it on... it is very dull, i'll try to post a pic...
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1974/1975 aluminum cent weighed 0.937 grams according to Wikipedia, which is less than one third the weight of a copper cent (3.11 gm). The difference would be quite noticeable even without a scale.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, ah--I saw that too, but the 0.937 gr. just didn't click...it almost unbelievably light! Then again, Al coins are noticeably light.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...the 0.937 gr. just didn't click...it almost unbelievably light

When compared to world coins of a similar size that are made from aluminum that weight seems reasonable. I just happen to have a 1 Thebe from Botswana sitting on my desk(doesn't everybody?). It's a hair thinner and has a slightly smaller diameter than a penny and weighs about 0.8g.

However, I seriously doubt the authenticity of that penny. If it is real, I'll eat the 1 Thebe.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snowman, agreed--hard to visualize as I don't have any Al coins save for a Belize coin. Mostly heavy coppers from Canada, Aus, and Scandinavia.

quote:
If it is real, I'll eat the 1 Thebe.

At least it's "light...less filling"
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1337 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is real. the US Secret Service will make a trip to your house and confisicate it( they're Illgeal). So its a lose-lose situation. :(
Edited by 1337
04/16/2008 7:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"So its a lose-lose situation"

Unless you immediately auction it somewhere like Canada or Europe. If genuine, it would be well-worth the trip. Just don't write "contraband aluminum penny" on your customs form
Disclaimer: I'm (sort of) joking.
Edited by KurtS
04/16/2008 9:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toniblab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the goverment will go to that country and get it back! remember the 1933 $20.gold pc.the goverment got it back.this is the only coin that was sold a few years ago for 7 million dollars
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6630 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2008  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If it is real. the US Secret Service will make a trip to your house and confisicate it( they're Illgeal). So its a lose-lose situation. :(

The government and ICG don't seem too worried about this one.
Learn More...
Australia
11178 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2008  03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the coin at hand...

It's most likely simply been electroplated. Zinc is relatively easy to plate onto a copper/bronze coin. Electroplating deposits such a thin layer of metal onto the surface that it doesn't detectably alter the weight or thickness.

I have a "silver" Australian 2 coin that I know was electroplated with zinc, because my dad made it as part of a chemistry demonstration.

If it was a "quick job", one thing to look for on your coin is a small patch on the rim where the plating is absent and the copper shows through - this would be where the wire was attached. It's not too hard to obscure this telltale spot (simply detach the wire, re-attach it somewhere that's already been plated, and put it back in the solution), but it's presence is a definite giveaway.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2008  09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gregoc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet it is electo-plated. I just came across a similar 1974 penny and weighed it on a laboratory scale along with a 1974 copper coin.
The copper penny weighed 3.1294 grams and the "silver" penny weighed 3.1446 grams.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2008  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chaotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea I just found a local coin shop that has scales to measure these coins so I'm going to make a trip down there on lunch one day next week...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05