Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Chinese with square hole | Kwangtung struck cash coin

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2221 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2008  12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny how I happen to have this in my collection and I never bothered to research about it:

Quite nice grade in my opinion. The square hole is off centered.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2008  4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a copy. A lot of these coins are used for house decor like windchimes, sword made from coins attached together with a red thread, etc.

Chinese coins are essential ingredients in the practice of Feng Shui. It is the most potent symbol of wealth, especially when tied with red thread. They are rounded shape with a square hole in the center. The circle represents heaven while the square represents earth. When used by humans, they represent the cosmic trinity of luck of "Heaven-Earth-Man". There is the Yang side (with four chinese characters according to reign of emperor) and the Yin side (2 characters) on every chinese coins. The Yang side should always be used facing up. Feng Shui masters often focus only on Ching Dynasty coins compared to other dynasties because Ching was the most powerful dynasty in China, while other dynasties usually collapsed in less than a century. The Chinese coins, particularly of those of the Kang Hsi or Chien Long Emperors' reign are deemed most auspicious. Chinese coins are creation of old advisors of emperors (who are Grand Feng Shui wizards) and that is why chinese coins are powerful emblems of wealth, endless fortune and prosperity.
Valued Member
Singapore
104 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2008  08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add haidee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yaiks! is this a copy, too?

Image: Image000.jpg
73.68 KB

Image: Image001.jpg
86.81 KB
Pillar of the Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2008  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haidee its a copy in brass
Learn More...
Australia
11235 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2008  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the coins posted in this thread so far appear genuine to me.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2008  1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The method in doing the fake coins is the same as in doing the real coins. Casting. You have to have an eye for chinese coins to know the real mccoy.
Valued Member
Singapore
104 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2008  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add haidee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^i actually asked a chinese guy (colleague) about it... showed him the coin... and he said it's real.
then again, maybe there's a standard weight for these, too? anybody who can share this info, so we can check
Learn More...
Australia
11235 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
maybe there's a standard weight for these, too?

Unfortunately, no. The cast ones like yours vary in weight considerably, and the size or diameter varies as well, particularly over such a long reign as that of Qian Long.

Quote:
The method in doing the fake coins is the same as in doing the real coins. Casting.

All of the most blatantly fake cash I've seen have been the ones that were made using modern coinage machinery, with little dimples carved into the dies in the background fields in a crude attempt to simulate the "sandy" background fields of genuinely cast coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DCH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the machine struck cash look good to me.

Haidee's Qian Long, I'm not sure about. It's probably genuine as Hartill lists an undersized piece(23-24mm,1754-1760) with the note "often coarse workmanship". If this is a full size coin(25mm+,1736-1753) then it is most likely a contemporary counterfeit. I see nothing to make me suspect a modern fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They all look good. to me. And haidee, yours looks just like one of mine I found in the field in my old ancestral home in China.

Fake ones usually have something else written on it. Plus, the background is textured (like small little boils) and the coin just looks very new and... well, recently made.

Also, as not a deterrent, there are steel cash coins. Well, iron cash coins. They we making those up to the 1800s.

Well, I think these are what they're *supposed* to look like.

Anyways, the left one is Daoguang (1820-1850); the middle is Kangxi (1661-1722) and the last one is iron...
Edited by wd1040
11/24/2008 11:41 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05