Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 cent piece Under rated.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  11:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I think the Province of Canada 20 cent piece is highly underrated. It lists at $50 in g and $275 in ef. There was a mintage of 750,000 but only 105,000 were not melted as per mint records [i will try and link source]. I think the low mintage should make the coin worth considerably more ie similar mintage 1893 100,000 is $75 in g and $1250 in ef .
I'm looking for comment, Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/cancoin/]

This is the link this is really cool piece of info I encorage all to take a look.!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2570 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the Province of Canada 20 cent piece is highly underrated.

I must agree. But I feel that most coins minted before 1900 are under rated. The old style art work on them is what attracts me to the coins. I know you are referring to the number of possible surviving specimens, but if one was to study the work of Leonard Charles Wyon whom designed the the first Canadian coins, I think they would find his work to be more appealing and authentic than that of today's modern North American coinage.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Edited by Tim Stroud
01/09/2009 07:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1551 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the originator of this topic as to how underated and underpriced the trend value of the 1858 twenty cent coinage. I also "STRONGLY" feel collectors of Canadian decimal should start regarding all 6 decimals (1c-$1.00) PRE-1937 to be regarded as KEY dates.
Reason for my madness is simple: look at today's mintages>100 million - 1 billion minted and compare this to the pre-1937 coinage 200K - 20 million, it leaves one wondering just how many quality pieces are left for collectors. Especially when you consider silver wears much faster than modern plated steel, a Century ago a day's pay was a half dollar or less so who could afford to put aside a day's pay for future collectors to enjoy?. Then add to the mix all the silver melts we've seen in the past 30 years, and all the holes drilled in older coinage and love tokens made.
This is why I say to all, consider pre1937 coinage to be all KEY dates, the word semi-keys and common pieces should be eliminated from vocabulary when referring to the said Era coinage!

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny enough, while flipping through the latest Charlton yesterday, I was thinking the same thing. Only being minted for one year should automatically make it a coin worth having; the fact that it can be had for a reasonable amount of money still, should be a signal to get one before it gets "discovered" by the numismatic community at large.
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2009  2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say the 1858 20c coin is reasonably rated. But a lot of the 25c Victorian coins are under rated. For example, the 1871 about the same price. An even better one to compare is the 1894 25c coin - about 4x harder to get than the 1858 20c, yet the price is comparable.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2009  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FreezerBurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did you arrive at the 105,000 figure for surviors?

Several years returns were for unspecified numbers of silver coins of various denominations giving only a total dollar amount.

I am going over your link and some photocopies of Royal Mint records I have and suspect the figure is over 300,000 unmelted. This does not take into account lost, damaged or coins otherwise rendered unuseable (jewelry, etc).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2009  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The number of 105 was from disseminating the Dollar amount by 5, I think I did it right but let me know if your math is different. I think the link is pretty good, I would also think if it is accurate that it may dispel the belief that large cents and 5 cent silver was officially recalled.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2009  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FreezerBurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MrCanada, I'd like to revise my guess-timate downward. One number I did not have was the $50,000 for 1885.
There's no way of knowing how many 20 Cent coins were included in the 1906 figure but with 631295 already gone it likely wasn't a lot.

year -- dollars --- # melted
1881 - $18,000 - 90000
1885 - $50,000 - 250000
1888 - $17,174 - 85870
1889 - $16,585 - 82925
1894 - $15,000 - 75000
1899 - $9,500 --- 47500

minimum melted
$126259 631295

maximum survivors
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2009  5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new here and was looking back at past topics. There was an article in the May Canadian Numismatic Journal that pinned this down pretty well. The number is much less than most people think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think all early Canadian coins are undervalued. I have became attached to them through the .999 nickels I buy for bullion
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, bosox!

This is again a timely subject. I have tried to find bargains on Canadian silver and the prices have stayed or risen while spot silver has been dropping. Today's spot quote is approximately US$14.00 for an ounce of silver.
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bosox,

I also read the article in the CNJ in May and I agree, the survivor number is really really low. This is a great coin yet under appreciated. Just look at what happened to it in Trends last issue. It's price went down!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
631 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also read the article in the CNJ, and was shocked how few may have survived. The price drop in Trends does not seem to fit with what the coin should be trading at, but it is a realistic number. The average price at Torex for EF level coins was right around the $200 mark. Right now the market is moving and adjusting faster than any price guide can track, so I wouldn't rely on any published numbers as a solid basis of current valuation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we are talking about the 1858 right? Isnt that the only 20 cent piece
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, the subject is the 1858 30 cent canada coin....
However, it is NOT the only one ever made...
apparently there was one made in 1871! but only in Specimen grade.
have NO idea what happened to the... Charlton lists it...for 10-15K
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05