Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Most inspiring Canadian/pre-confederation/colonial coin, etc

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  3:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Which Canadian/Pre-Confederation/colonial coin, token, medallion, do you find the most inspiring? Please include a pic!

Edited by gawd0wns
01/12/2009 3:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FreezerBurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any of the "Young Head" Victoria coins show she was a hottie but my personal favorite is the "Gothic Head" Florin (1851 ~ 1887).

http://flickr.com/photos/stujoe/269524856/
Edited by FreezerBurn
01/12/2009 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I borrowed your picture. If one day I was gonna pick one up like this in similar grade... how much?

... I could use a cup a sugar too.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2045 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  5:19 pm  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a handfull on eBay right now:
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...n&category0=
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FreezerBurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IBGolden, the coin is not mine and was only posted to show what HRH Victoria looked like in Gothic mode. That one is a little rough but lets you see some of the detail on the coin.

The 1884 NGC MS 62 in chequer's link has a BIN of $425US.
Edited by FreezerBurn
01/12/2009 5:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ouch... I got a young head half sovereign, but I find this portrait(Gothic Head) particularly interesting. Does it appear on anything else... a silver commemorative of sorts perhaps?

... edit >>> This type of portrait is on India 1/4 rupee, and 2 annas coins. Very fine examples are considerably cheaper than a vf GB(UK) florin... considerably. There are also silver rounds with this portrait and of course a few florin copies. I think I'll get my first piece of Indian silver! eBay again causes me learnin'.
Edited by IBGolden
01/12/2009 7:44 pm
Valued Member
Canada
302 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add malibu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there were also two gothic style crowns minted in 1847 and 1853 as proofs only, not intended for circulation, about 20,000 of each were made. They're called "Gothic" style because of the script or font type used in the lettering. I am lucky to have an 1847:

Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FreezerBurn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IBGolden, good for you. I knew there were some coins of India that had a design similar to the Gothic piece. Hope you find a beauty!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah!... I got an 1880 one rupee for 15 bucks including shipping. I checked completed listings and apparently I got quite a bargain!
EF+ grade. I won't bother with a pix because eBay has plenty and I of course haven't received it yet. Maybe I can find a decent free pix with some specs.

I'll be back

>>> edit VVV
Oh man... it all here--->http://jfcampbell.us/india/victoria/rupee-obv.htm

Specs:
Composition: 0.917 Silver
Weight: 11.6g
Size: 30.5mm x 2mm
Edited by IBGolden
01/14/2009 6:55 pm
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone else think of any inspiring coinage?
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2009  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I nominate the Terry Fox commemorative dollar:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2009  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian/pre-confederation/colonial coin, etc

Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Image: 6bff_1.jpg
41.1 KB
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I messed up the post. I just got this and it looks like a very younge Victoria, any of you Victorian buffs know what this is?
Thanks

Image: 6c36_1.jpg
40.52 KB
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2009  04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a model coin- a proposal to issue a smaller size coin that would have value because of the silver content of the inner portion of the coin. There are several of these pieces, and they are interesting. About 1843-48 if I remember properly. This is a model 1 penny.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4620 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite image on a colonial is Pistrucci's engraving of George slaying the dragon,seen here on my avatar.Looks like yotie's token was slabbed by HBC,nice wooden holder,does it grade 1 Made Beaver,or 1/2 MB?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05