Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Ein Kreuzer - 1816

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
christian_cyclist
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  12:41 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add christian_cyclist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is the oldest coin in my collection: one Austrian Kreuzer minted in 1816. My Uncle-in-law gave me this coin when I was a little boy. He actually had a very interesting life and so does this coin.

His family was given a creed from Katherine the Great that bestowed nobility on them (and he still has the creed). Of course, all of that nobility was lost in Russian Revolution that ushered in Communism. The family was not viewed too kindly in the eyes of the revolutionaries so they packed what they could in a trunk and left for Germany. They stayed for a while but Hitler's scary rise to power caused them to flee back to Russia. The trunk came back with them and this coin was inside.

Having lived in Germany, my Uncle was fluent in German and he was conscripted to translate intercepted messages. The stigma of being a noble was forgotten during the war but after the war the communists made no secret that he was not welcome in his own country unless he denounced his heritage. He wasn't about to do that so he pretty much defected. The Soviets were happy to see a noble flee so they can claim his land. It's kind of hard to defect with a trunk filled with your life possessions so he sent the trunk on a rail cart to be locked away in storage, somewhere in what was Western Germany. Then, when he would arrive (by another rail car), he could claim his trunk and go on with life. The trunk was stored but then seemingly lost. Probably not on purpose. Bar code scanners didn't exist back then. The trunk sat in a storage locked, unclaimed for a long time. In there was the creed... and this coin.

The trunk was discovered in the 70s and somehow, through some miracle, the finders of the trunk were able to connect the dots and contact my Uncle. It probably helped that he joined the US Army so there was a pretty good paper trail of who and where he was. I think the people who found the trunk found more than one trunk. Their goal was probably to reunite people with their possessions that were lost during and after WW II.

And can you believe that nothing in that trunk was stolen? The creed was there. Several antiques, icons, books... and this coin.

So, here's to a almost 200 year old Kreuzer!

-- Boris

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an amazing story and beautiful coin!
Valued Member
Poland
314 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DagonX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful story and coin!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
12753 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  10:44 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful family history and a beautiful coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story. I have some late 19th century Russian Kopecks that family members brought when they emigrated to the US. Granted the story isn't nearly as interesting as your.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3015 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story!
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW to be able to have a coin with a story behind it. Be sure to keep written records about your story with the coin for your heirs.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - that is an amazing story. Do you have any pics of the creed or the antiques? Very intriguing. Makes me wonder what else was in that storage warehouse.....anybody rermember the end of the Indiana Jones movie when they filed away the ark in the massive warehouse...
Edited by wcg
01/21/2009 6:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add christian_cyclist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think he had a ton of old stuff in that trunk. It was pretty much his whole family history in there. I remember seeing the creed and the antiques at his house when I would visit him as a kid. After seeing it so many times, I kind of shrug it off a bit. The creed is written in "old Russian" so it is hard to read. Just like America has an East Coast, West Coast, Texan, and Southern Accent, so does Russian. He definitely spoke in a differently accented Russian which was somewhat indicative of the region and his status.

-- Boris
Pillar Of The Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful story, nice coin.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warjag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great story.I just found this coin in my lot and wanted to see about it on a seach engine. This came up. Wow this is a keeper!
Valued Member
Portugal
114 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2009  6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jlcarvoeiro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin , itīs coins like this that make our hobby excellent.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05