Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Canadian penny

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:07 pm Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I need some help for the experts.

I recently bought a Whitman folder with three places for the 1947 cent. They state the following:

1947 - 31,093,901
1947 Maple Leaf Blunt 7 - 43,855,448
1947 Maple Leaf Pointed 7 (incl. w/previous)

Can someone tell me the difference between the last two? I have two 1947 pennies and I can't tell which ones they are. There are no pictures on the internet that I've seen which shows the differences to compare. As far as I know my two pennies are the same without the maple leaf, but like I said I have nothing to compare.

As my budding Canadian coin collection grows I'm sure to have more questions for the experts.

Ken

Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am responding right from memory, without looking in any book.
Looking at the ones that have a maple leaf on them beside the date (do you know why the maple leaf is there?)Have a look on the top right hand corner of the 7. If its pointed, its the pointed variety. if its flat, then its called the blunt.
You'll need a loupe to see it with ease.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:33 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the lightning fast response Dollar1948! And since you brought up the topic, why is the maple leaf there? I'm assuming it's from a different mint.

Another question: why just the 1947 penny with the Maple Leaf by the date? The 1945, 1946 and 1950 pennies I'm looking at don't have them, just the two large leaves on the reverse side like all the cants.

Ken
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:38 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
update: Now that I'm looking at both my 1947's side by side I see there is a VERY tiny mark near the 1947 date on one of them. Even with a strong magnifying glass it's hard to make out it's a maple leaf, much less a blunt or pointed one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, maple leafs vs no maple leafs beside the date. Please compare the writing along the obverse sides of both varieties. See any difference? here's a hint, India was given its independance (remember Ghandi?) in that year.

heres a blurb from something online I found that explains it better than I ever could.
"In 1947, India was granted it's independence from England. This caused a major issue for the Royal Canadian Mint. The letters ET IND:IMP needed to be removed from the obverse side of the penny. The dies for this coin were not ready. 1947 cents were made for the 1948 cents with a small maple leaf after the 1947 date. When the dies were completed for 1948, the 1947 maple leaf coins were discontinued."

On another note, Im inclined to believe that perhaps the maple leaf would always be too big to miss, unless its really worn.

Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add psi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ML mintmarked coins were actually made in 1948. 1948 dated coins don't have the "IND:IMP" (emperor of India) because India was independent by that point. The 1947 ML's were made while they were waiting for the dies with the revised inscription to arrive, at which point they switched to making 1948s with the new inscription. The mintmark was added so the coins could be differentiated from the 1947s actually made in 1947.

edit:oops, too slow
Edited by psi
03/09/2009 4:54 pm
Learn More...
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  4:56 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kurt has some good diagnostic photos of this.. I am trying to find them (they are in another previous topic). He may respond with them in the meantime, though.
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:02 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AH! Thanks both of you for the info. You really can learn something new every day. I really appreciate the responses.

Ken

P.S. I just bought a penny collection of 92 coins dated 1920-2009 off eBay yesterday. Most pennies are supposed to be included with a handful of early issues missing. Thought it would be nice to get almost an entire collection at once. We'll see how the collection goes when it arrives

Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out this link: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/index...nt_1937_1952
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey matchbox...did you get a 1923 and a 1925 in that lot you bought? If you give me a grade I can tell ya what they are worth...just got my new mag today with the trend values.

Thanks daddy...that pic really explains it
Edited by Dollar1948
03/09/2009 5:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:22 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppernickeldaddy..... THANK YOU for the info.

Dollar1948, here's a description of what I should be receiving:

You are bidding on a collection of Canadian Pennies from 1920 to 2009. Excluded from collection are 22,23,24,25,26,27,30,31 and 2006P which are extremely limited. However the collection does include the small runs of the 20's through 60's pennies inclusive of the limited mintages of 1937, 1938, both versions of 1948, 1990, 2002P, 2003 (all styles), 2004P and 2005P (very rare) as well as both versions (zinc and steel) of the 2006 ML, as well as the newest 2009.

The scan doesn't do the justice,the coins are combination of circulated and uncirculated ones. Some uncirculated ones are from the 60s, 70s and most of the 21st century coins.

and the seller has another set available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...120388236435

I don't know if I overpaid for these but at least I have a collection right away. When they arrive I'll be asking you most questions about them, I'm sure.

Ken

Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:26 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: checking my 1947 penny with the photos of the blunt vs pointed, this looks like the blunt version. Thanks again for all your info!

Ken

Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think ya did alright there matchbox..12 bucks..your laughin.
Get yourself a book on these, there are lots of varieties you can nail down and they all go for around the same trend value.Amazon.com has them all.
Once the cents went into plated zinc 1999 and after, the mint marks really get interesting. Some years there are 3 different ones. Im sure you can network with someone on here and they can get good examples of all of them from their pocket change. I find the recent cents are always in great shape, no finger prints etc.
Keep your eye open for a 2006, with no mint mark...if its magnetic, then its time to pop open the champagne.
BTW, theres a large and small cent varieity for 1920...thats they year they went over to the small variety.

BTW, blunt variety is worth more. 2 dollars for VF while the other is .35 cents.
Edited by Dollar1948
03/09/2009 5:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  7:04 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dollar1948 for all your responses. I'm trying to get enough posts in so I can start networking. In fact I have coins sitting for people here right now but I don't have any way to contact them because of the 50 post rule. I just want to send them off but looks like they'll have to wait while I get chatty.

Ken

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I do have diagnostic pics...I cannot find them right now.
But try this link--there are pics of the blunt 7 and pointed 7.
Ah--this is the same link as above
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2009  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey matchbook,,ya wanna trade some Canadian for some Lincoln memorials and/or wheaties?
Once you collection arrives, and you get settled and have a look see what your missing, we can talk.
I just started collecting AU and BU examples of Lincolns..doing pretty good but I have now cleaned out most of the dealers here in Toronto.
BTW, I got a 1923 Canadian thats not doing anything that I know you need that I would love to work into the trading equation.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05