Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Caribou Quarter in Circulation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  4:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thecanadianian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just found a 1999 p caribou quarter in my change. I'm pretty sure these were not released in circulation and were only part of mint sets.

I'm not sure what to do with the it. I don't collect mint sets so this is a new coin to my collection; but at the same time my quarter album doesn't have a spot for 1999 caribou. If it is from a mint sent, but it has been circulated, does it become a circulated coin? Also, because it has been circulated (it's EF40-ish) it's distractingly less attractive than my other modern quarters.

Edited by thecanadianian
03/22/2009 4:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id keep it.
Stick it in a 2x2, and hang on to it.I'm assuming your using a Whitman or Dansco album? Your right tho, trend values and the Charlton are only providing values of grade MS64 as indeed they were never released during normal circulation. You may want to sell it as well. Im sure there are lots of collectors like me out there that try to collect an example of every variety of every year.
Who knows whats in store for value down the road, if you hang on to it for 50 yrs..
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thecanadianian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the suggestion.

I put it in a 2x2 for now, but it actually raises an interesting question for me because I only collect circulation coins. It did circulate, but does it fit with the rest of my collection?

maybe I'll be able to trade it for something I need down the road :)
Valued Member
Canada
213 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I myself found a 1999P 25ct/quarter in circulation.Its not the best of shape with rolling machine marks but never the less.I put it in my collection as circulated.The 1999P set were the first P coins made.
Valued Member
Canada
213 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2009  2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres a picture.

Image: 1999P.JPG
54.24 KB
Valued Member
Australia
321 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2009  06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brissyboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be also possible the RCM tossed their excess of struck 99 quarters that were over the number of sets required, into circulation, rather than melt them down?
Valued Member
Canada
384 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2009  09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1945V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The story I heard is that these "P" plated coins (1999P quarters, 2001P pennies, etc) were sent to vendor machine manufacturers and were to be returned to the RCM when the manufacturers finished testing and calibrating their machines. However, many were not returned and were sold to collectors or simply tossed into circulation.

When the mint found out about this, they decided to issue mint sets with "P" coins to cash in on the demand.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an interesting story but I would be very skeptical. The mint usually produces test tokens of the same composition, weight and size. I have several in my collection. I think you are right that the mint decided to cash in on the interest and there are about 7 pages of them listed in Charlton.I was in the Vending industry and could have requested test tokens, sometimes I'm just not to sharp.I have one, 99 caribou, as well but I bought it as a single. I heard a good argument for having them as they complete a caribou set for those that like that series, I do.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found one today, too!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05