Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Ok guys! Opinions please. 1899 Large cent

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
snaz
Valued Member
Canada
351 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  03:49 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add snaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Alright. I feel as though I may have found a new variety for the 1899 Large cent. I think I'll call it the... 1899 Snaz. JK :p
But this one really is different, it seems to have a different second 9. I have included pictures along with enlarged date pictures. please give me your opinions. Or heck, maybe it's been found already and I'm just a dork.
It is most noticeable on the bottom part of the second 9, you can tell it is thinner then all others.
And where the 9 swings around (this is going to be hard to explain) to the front of the 9 it is closer to the top circle.

Edited by snaz
03/26/2009 03:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5203 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  10:43 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well.. There is definitely a difference in the two "9"s

My 1899 Large cent looks like your "skinny" one.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snaz--interesting to see those two large cents.
I don't have an 1899 to compare, but I assembled both dates from your coins to compare.
The way the bottom loop on the 9 ends looks different to me as well.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1842 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  12:12 pm  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting ... my 1899 seems to be more like the second date...
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I feel as though I may have found a new variety for the 1899 Large cent."

fyi - this variety was listed as early as the 2006 issue of the CCC Price Guide for Canadian Coins.
Pillar Of The Community
9203 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at my Charest's catalogue, the second coin is a variety called "large 9".
It doesn't carry much premium to the normal coin. But perhaps the first one is different than standard too?
Valued Member
Canada
351 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh that's awesome! Can you guys let us know some more about it. Is there a mintage #? Or how does the price change?
Pillar Of The Community
9203 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2009  2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if the "large 9" is just one die, because the values are somewhat similar. Value in Charest for "Normal" in F15 is $4 vs. $4.50 for the "large 9".
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05