Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! | a couple of Roman bronzes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  10:10 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey, I got these a few years ago I cant post pictures right now bout to go to bed but ill try draw lol
i have no information on these what so ever, and no idea what their worth any information will be gratefull thxi know its poor but will have to do for now lol.

Anyways heres the first one its got some writing down the sides that I cant make out but in the bottom middle of the coin its got what looks like is a * under the box thing ... any help please :)

Edited by Sap
04/09/2009 07:31 am
Learn More...
United States
13370 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  11:21 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, From your drawing this may be a token from a business.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol thanks token from a buisness it's like 1700 years old and im positive of that ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Shortmister194

Pictures will be the only way to determine what it is.

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol yea I figured but I dont have the time atm I have classes with in the next hour I gotta get ready for them ill take some after thanks for the help but :)
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  8:08 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What color is it?
How big is it?
How much does it weigh?
How do you know it is "like 1700 years old"?

If it is, I wonder if it matches reverse #3 (called 'Providentiae Caess') pictured on this site of ancient coins. That matches the description of the "like a * under the box thing".

welcome to the forum,
-wheatiefan
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
uhm, yea the person I got it from told me I think it's from rome
and its probably like 1.5cm-2cm wide and high it idk how much it weighs

and yea its got the face on the back with the link you gave me

Isee it it's the
PROVIDENTIAE CAESS

one any idea how much it's worth?
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2009  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
soz for double post but yea it's this one

http://www.coinscatalog.com/coin_vi...int=42453048

and I also have this one

any values at all o.o ?
Edited by Shortmister194
04/02/2009 04:02 am
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump bump bump :D urgent any one?>?
Learn More...
Australia
11146 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There aren't any recent catalogues that cover this time period, and the Wildwinds database is inoperative at the moment, so finding values is tricky. Furthermore, we'd really need to see pics of your actual coins, to see the condition, mintmark, variety etc.

I have an old catalogue (1981!), in which the first coin pictured (Constantine II caesar, two-turreted camp-gate, #3848) is listed at 12. The second one is uncatalogued; I can't see any references to a radiate-headed Constantine / IOVI type;I suspect your coin isn't quite the same as the one pictured; the more common laureate head types are listed at 10.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
13370 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  08:59 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now how was I supposed to guess it was 1700 years old from a line drawing and no other description. These are both common Roman coins and in this condition would sell between $10-$12 US.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shortmister194 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10-12 that's rubbish I woulda thought it be more then that being so ancient and such around the year of julius ceasor and hannibal -_-

eh, oh well

and the first one is probably worse condition then the picture I posted only cause it got a lil chunk out of it lol (im to lazy to post pics) if they were worth more then $10 i'd think about it but eh lol
the 2nd one mines roughly same condition as the picture I posted if not its better condition
Edited by Shortmister194
04/02/2009 10:31 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11106 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  10:53 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's like 1700 years old and im positive of that ...

that would be impossible for one to determine from a crude drawing

Quote:
10-12 that's rubbish I woulda thought it be more then that being so ancient and such around the year of julius ceasor and hannibal -_-

You may think it is rubbish but ancient Roman and Greek coins tend to be very cheap and common. Obviously some are very valuable and expensive, usually silver and gold issues, but the majority(bronze) are not regardless of the age. Do you realize that hordes are regularly found in Europe consisting of thousands or tens of thousands of coins? Old does not equal valuable.

Next time, if you are so insistent on getting some info in a hurry(you only posted 24 hours ago), please provide more details besides a crude drawing that looks nothing like a coin- actual photographs are the best method of identification if you do not know what you have.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
old does not necessarily mean valuable.
I'm old and my wife wouldn't give 2 cents for me!
BTW: Roman and Greek coins are quite plentiful. Since they didn't have banks back then, people would save by putting the coins in jars, sealing them and then burying them in the ground. Where they remained until this day. That is why they are always finding 'hoards' of ancients.
How this helps a little.
PICS are welcome as well as you to CCF.
Learn More...
United States
13370 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2009  1:18 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an example for you, I just returned from the post office after sending a package of 1000 low grade Roman coins that I sold for $260US. These were the same type and time period of your coins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05