Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Olympics coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2009  1:52 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ottawar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, could someone please either provide the prices (or price ranges) for the following 1976 Olympics coins or please provide me with the site that has this information for the following coins?
Set of 4 (Series I)
Set of 4 (Series II)
$5 Sailboat
$10 Montreal

Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2009  7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these coins proof or unc.?
Charlton has got all of them listed individually, are each of the series you mention a set all within the same case?
Edited by Dollar1948
04/08/2009 7:42 pm
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2009  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ottawar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your quick response. The coins are uncirculated and the series mentioned are all complete sets (4 coins) within the same box.
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2009  02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These things were quite the white elephant of the Canadian coin world. There was all kinds of hoopla when they first came out, and a lot of people subscribed to the plan to get the whole set, thinking they would do nothing but increase in value.

Unfortunately, they were totally overproduced, and most people who bought into them weren't coin collectors. They started to trickle back into the marketplace because the dramatic increases in value never occurred, but no one wanted them, and banks wouldn't even take them at face, because it was such a big hassle to send them back to the Mint.

Today, they are worth little more than bullion value, and still, no one really wants them.
Valued Member
Australia
109 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2009  03:17 am  Show Profile Check oasis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oasis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see these sets and coins sell for their bullion value all the time. Good for stacking silver I suppose but I wouldn't rush out to pay a premium for a proof set, if you're patient enough you should be able to pick them up at the current silver price.

These coins are .925 pure silver, the $5 coins weigh 24.3g and the $10 coins weigh 48.6g.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2009  06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ottawar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2084 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2009  08:47 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I remember some years ago they were selling for "face" at coin shows. I bought a swimmer one for $5 ... should've bought more. I just sold that on eBay for almost $10 USD. They are selling on eBay in the 7-10 dollar range for the $5 coin and double for the $10 ... basically for the silver. I like the series though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2009  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the series as well. I find some of the images very inventive and artistic. I wouldn't dismiss having them in my collection, and showing them off.
But for some reason, there are other ones I would prefer to have 1st.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2009  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HOWEVER......
there is ONE that is valuable....
The $ 10 MULE with the world map on reverse and QE2 on the obverse....
the 1973 issue. There are about 350 or so with the 1974 Date...... worth between 500 and 600 dollars or close..
HHB
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2009  12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also examples which did not receive edge lettering... that were in earlier sets, not single issues(I do believe).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05