Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

High price for 1927 5c?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:12 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can anyone tell me why this sold for so much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...b%3DWatching

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add malissadawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I can't say for sure what happened there. I can say in my opinion it is a much better grade than AU and maybe the people bidding realized that and bid higher because they wanted it. I'm sure the seller was very happy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:30 pm  Show Profile Check TheForce's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh what a beautiful coin! I don't have that set completed yet.
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

It's beautifull and probably hard to find in this condition but at 180$ CDN I think that it have a problem with some buyer lol

THanks !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add malissadawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't think it went for too much over what it's worth if at all. Charlton has the value as $200 in MS63 and $500 in MS64. I am not an expert at grading nickels but I really don't see anything unflattering about that nickel that would give it a lower grade so I think the buyer may just luck out if they send it in for grading.

malissa
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2009  01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Malissa, this is one of those cases where Krause is off base with values. They have it at $60 for MS60 and $125 for MS63. I really have to get a copy of Charlton's guide.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2009  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all:
this coin is NOT MS 62 or higher...
and, I think someone wanted it really badly..
Please look at the bid increments...
I think the seller did it...who knows...
15 bids were from the same bidder.
An MS 62, ICCS certified can be bought for CAN $ 75 !
beats me...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some times a buyer really wants a specific coin. I know I can be seduced by a Morgan dollar with clear fields and an unblemished cheek.
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wetglaswegian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id agree there is something fishy about the bidding pattern.The same bidder apparantly yet the price climbs until we see a user with 1 feedback take it to $200.
Anytime I see that minimum feedback bidder anywhere I back off , reckon its the seller inflating the price when it happens usually.
I know that just speculation but it happens too often.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2009  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Colhand1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, its a very nice looking coin. I have the most difficulty in grading this series since most coins I see are very mushy and do not have the full strike as I see on this coin. Most don't have the jewels in the crown separated, the rim of the crown you see all the jewels and the jewels in the sash have the little peaks that you easily see in the large cents. Was this too much to pay? Perhaps but I see this coin as much better than what is typically seen of this series. This coin should appreciate to this value if kept by the owner for 5 years.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok admitted, really nice canadian nickels are a bit harder to find than regular.
way back nickels were used to feed parking meters...1 nickel for an hour, or even 2 hours.
these meters were all mechanical meters ( a metal slug would have done it)and ALL of them scratched the coins in one way or another.
this is why most nickels are scratched or badly worn.
However, because of this, nicer nickels enjoy better prices...BUT just better, NOT super prices unless grades are 65 and higher.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05