Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Unknown Chinese Coins please help thanks

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
jmcgowan
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  11:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi there I have 4 tai-ching-ti-kuo silver coins is anyone familar with these coins - ag

e - weight value? thanks for your time

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jmcgowan- would it be possible for you to post a larger picture of your coin? We would love to be able to help you with this.

Also, have you weighed it and measured the diameter? Both of these will help us determine if it is real (Since tons and tons and tons of fake coins are flowing out of China these days).
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi please email me <removed email address to protect member> so that I can email you photos of the 6 chinese coins I have thanks Jen
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11063 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "Tai Ching Ti Kuo" series of silver and copper coins were the first attempt by China at creating a standardized Empire-wide machine-struck coinage system; up to this point, the provincial mints were basically doing their own thing. The silver ones were issued in 1907 and 1908; a pic of the reverse could let us know which date yours is, and also which denomination it claims to be.

There were four denominations issued, all with this same obverse dragon design: 10 cents (about dime-sized), 20 cents (a bit smaller than a quarter), 50 cents (US half-dollar-sized) and dollar.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info - I cannot upload photos because they are too big for this site - I can email you photos if you like - just contact <removed email address to protect member> - I also have a kiang-soo twenty cash coin and ching-ti copper coin thanks Jen
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in response to Archraz the silver coins 1 weighs 10.4 grams - 2 coins weigh 10.2 - and the last 11.3 - that seems strange to me all 4 of these chinese coins look identical - the copper coin weighs 8.1 grams - and the twenty cash weighs 10.7 grams - any thoughts on the weights
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I FIGURED OUT PHOTOS LOLOL

Australia
11063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the silver coins 1 weighs 10.4 grams - 2 coins weigh 10.2 - and the last 11.3 - that seems strange to me all 4 of these chinese coins look identical...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's a bit too strange, I'm afraid - there's no genuine silver coin with those weights; a 50c should be about 13.6 grams, a 20 cent should be 5.3 grams. Whatever denomination the "silver" coins are claiming to be, they're not silver, and not genuine.

The copper coins say (in Chinese) that they are 20 cash pieces. Unfortunately, the one on the left is a scarce coin from Hupeh Province (KM/Y# 11j), worth over $100. I say "unfortunately" because this means that this coin too is almost certainly fake (the weight doesn't help much in this case, since Krause doesn't give the weights of copper coins).

The one on the right is a slightly scarce coin from Kiangsu Province; the side shown is KM/Y# 163, though the reverse text in English should be "KIANG-SOO TWENTY CASH", not the "Tai Ching Ti Kuo" legend that all the other coins have; if it is actually the Tai Ching Ti Kuo reverse, then it's a "mule", and a sure sign of being fake also - especially if it came with all the others.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SAP WROTE: The one on the right is a slightly scarce coin from Kiangsu Province; the side shown is KM/Y# 163, though the reverse text in English should be "KIANG-SOO TWENTY CASH", not the "Tai Ching Ti Kuo"

Thanks for the info - my mistake on my twenty cash coin - it reads on the front in block letters KIANG-SOO TWENTY CASH with a dragon figure in the centre

As for the 4 SILVER COINS (thats what the coins read) I have looked closer and noticed slightly different chinese lettering I will get a photo posted and if you could look for me and give me your comments I would really appreciate it thanks Jennifer
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi - here are photos of the front and back of the chinese copper coin and the twenty cash coin - thanks for any comments or information

Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and here are the front and back of the 4 chinese silver coins - thanks

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jmcgowan- well, those silver coins certainly do look to be copper. So based upon what I can see I declare those fakes.
Australia
11063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And unfortunately, those "silver" coins all say "20 cash" in Chinese on the other side; 20 cash (or 2 cents) is a copper denomination. So, those are definitely fakes.

And I see what's happened, here - I thought the two pics in post #7 were of the two "copper" coins, not of some of the "silver" ones. My conclusion about one of them is wrong.

The slightly smaller coin claims to be a 10 cash, or 1 cent. The mintmark in the centre is that of the Zhenjiang (Chinkiang) mint, in Kiangsu province - but unfortunately, this particular mint never issued "incused mintmark" coins for general circulation. It was struck as an extremely rare pattern coin (listed with the regular coins as KM/Y# 10d.6); there are no more than a handful of genuine specimen known. It is therefore excessively improbable that this coin is genuine.

The larger one is a Kiangsu mint 20 cash, as I stated above (KM/Y# 163). This is the only coin that isn't "impossible" like the other five are; a genuine example in this condition would probably cost $50 or so. Unfortunately, if it came from the same place as the other five, then it suffers from guilt by association.
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the info - these coins along with some chinese war medals and a collection badges were in my grandfathers collection - he had a variety of coins - such as 5 indian head pennies - ranging in dates - canadian 50 cent pieces - lira - etc - and now I have this coin collection - and some other odd things LOLO - thanks again
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2010  01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hc8604 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to post the medals I can help some...
Canada
44 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2010  01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmcgowan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi here are some photos of the medals - thanks for your help

The oval shaped medal has 1938 stamped on the backside and the round one is dated 1950 on the front - thanks again

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05