Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toning with Sulfur

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  6:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coins92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Has anyone tried using raw sulphur to try toning a coin. Do you think piling sulfur around the edges of a blast white, clean fielded coin would provide results? Is there any place where a kid my age could by sulfur. I think people would assume I'm trying to make some kind pf explosive contraption.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well im right here with you! I tried to buy some but they wouldent let me! they probably thought I was going to mix it with something and blow my hands off and then my mom would sue them
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your wanting to try that wouldn't you get the same results,whatever they might be, by smashing up some old wooden match heads?
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coins92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lafaa where did you ask to buy some? Ideas anyone?
Learn More...
Australia
11238 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elemental sulfur (the yellow stuff) isn't very volatile at room temperature, so tarnishing would be fairly slow. You'd probably have to seal the coins and sulfur up in a bag or jar for at least a few months. You also wouldn't want any of the sulfur actually touching the coin; that would create a black spot right at the point of contact.

Personally, the deliberate tarnishing of a coin is not something I would encourage. As custodians of historic artifacts we should be trying to protect our coins from the elements, not deliberately exposing them.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i tried my nearest chem supply store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some sulphur toning techniques...
http://www.coinsite.com/content/ori...p0000080.htm

I toned two 1964 US quaters to a gun metal blue in hours. Just an experiment because I had a bottle of sulphur. I bought it from a farm supply/co-op... before they cared if their customers blew something up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
875 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote From Sap
"Personally, the deliberate tarnishing of a coin is not something I would encourage. As custodians of historic artifacts we should be trying to protect our coins from the elements, not deliberately exposing them."
I have to Agree with you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coins92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Well of course I'm not gonna try it with an 1895 Morgan Proof, just with some nicer common date quarters as an experiment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats what I wanted to do too!
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, the deliberate tarnishing of a coin is not something I would encourage. As custodians of historic artifacts we should be trying to protect our coins from the elements, not deliberately exposing them.

Absolutely!

Is this going to be the forum where you can learn how to artificially tone a coin? Really?

There are two kids posting in this thread. Is this the place they are going to learn how to make "fake" toned coins... OR is it going to be the place they learn to respect and deal honestly with their fellow collector?
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coretj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard boil an egg

put the egg an the coin in a large zip top bag **while the egg is still warm**

seal up the bag and lay it on a table.

make sure the egg is in one corner and the coin is in the diagonally opposite corner.

smash the egg by pressing on the bag above it

let the egg and coin stay in the bag until you have the colors you want.

It made some great rainbow toning on a silver bar I had.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
schmidty, I dont want to sell fake toners, I just want to expirement. and it would be cool to see a purple/ green coin. I also like watching it happen
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this going to be the forum where you can learn how to artificially tone a coin? Really?

My guess would be no, we have a forum which was developed with integrity ( I know I have been here since the lights came on) I have watched as members ruined themselves with artificial toning and giving advice on how to do it.

I would suspect that we as a forum will eventually see an instant replay of that senario in the future.

One of the things you can always be sure of is that the members here have a way of purging false, misleading, dishonest and generally numismatically damaging things from the forum, its truely a sight to see.

Integrity always wins !
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know lafaa. I wasn't trying for a minute to insinuate that you were a bad guy, I know better.

I guess it's a slippery slope. You teach one person how to have fun and experiment, while two other people learn how to make money off of people. I guess it's the yin and yang of the internet.

I just don't want to see it here. Especially when there are posts all over about people loving, and paying premiums for, toned coins. Having the "instruction manual" for how to fake it on the same site just doesn't seem right to me...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, people have not yet mentioned a potato....or others......yet.......
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05