Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The problem with grading Morgans

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2010  08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, are you in contact with Roger Burdette? If so, he may already have such documents, or give some advice on how and where to research it (if you are going in cold on this). He is sort of a walking mint archive in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2010  12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goldfinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philadelphia was supplying the dies but as they wore it was up to the branch to polish and basin the dies was it not? Likewise maintain the presses which ran at breakneck speed. The mechanical aspect of press maintenance must have been continual. Worn and broken parts daily.
A few possibilities:
some branches had far more skilled/dedicated workers
San Fransisco surely had more comfortable working conditions than New Orleans, 70 vs 100
Perhaps the basining in San Fransisco fell to a very skilled worker who enjoyed rejuvenating a worn die whereas that job in New Orleans fell to a trainee who not only lacked skill but hurried the job as it was done in a particularly hot uncomfortable part of the work room.
Didnt New Orleans have the majority of the overprints? O/CC etc. I always had the impression New Orleans got all the 'hand me down' dies and parts and tools from the other mints.
All conjecture in 2010. I have a lot of O Morgans and oddly most are decently if not very well struck whereas I've got some other mintmarks that are really soggy. I love them all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2010  10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some time ago I missed a 1892-0 that was very very nice all over the rims and fields with the exception of the center obverse where the hair was flat, and the Reverse was just as nice but the chest and legs were flat, I got to busy to bid on it, and never heard of the coin mentioned in this thread as to what the TPG's would grade it...going through some of my coins I stumbled across a very weakly struck coin

here this 84-0 is weak all around the rim and the center,

again, weak rims, and center chest and legs look flat......
on both the OBV and REV the lettering looks strong and clean, decent clean fields........how does one grade something like this?
are they worth collecting?
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2010  11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your listed possibilities are all good ones goldfinger. I have considered each of them before myself. The notion that I like the best is that possibly the mint workers may have over extended themselves on Bourbon St. at Mardi Gras the prior evening?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05