Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$5 star keeper?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, right tc.

Okay, my turn....here is 1934 Star.... 7,680,000 printed.....84 known today.

I like that big blue '1' opposite the over sized blue treasury seal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does your note have the In God We Trust motto on the reverse?

No, alas it is the run of the mill version. I also have 12 other silver certs ALL that I got in circulation, never paid more than a dollar for one. Surprisingly several of them are in VG condition and 2 are awesome including a 1935E.

Some notes I really want and will probably end up buying are some of the WWII notes and I have always wanted a "funny back".
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"(probably) end up buying" ? If you haven't already found them in circulation, I would have to say that your time is running out.
I would have to agree with you though, I really like the yellow seals and blue numbers (more so than the brown).

Known population : Hawaii...95 North Africa....60.

Edited by zeewool
07/14/2010 1:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I meant probably end up buying as in paying the sickening rate someone is asking for it. No, if I haven't found it by now in circulation I doubt I ever will. But as long as there are kids, Dad's notes will always find a way into circulation.

On that last note: My ex-wife had (years back) two young boys. I kept all of my old coins/currency in my dresser drawer. One day I came home from work and saw a trail of coin leaving my bedroom. Yes all of my collection was gone. I followed the bread crumb trail to a stash under the youngest one's bed and when I located him his pockets were bulging.

The next day I was telling that story to my co-worker and he said something that stopped me in my tracks, "aren't you glad he doesn't have access to the outside world yet?".

I went out and bought a safe that day.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story. Well told. I like stories just as much as pictures. I have neither kids or spouse, so I revel in my security and independence.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CRH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have the capability to post pictures?

Yes but I don't have $5 star notes to share.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither do I....but I do have a twenty. This has deteriorated into a star thread, so I am just posting stars of any denomination or size.

Ooooo, it is almost a 'trinary' too. I guess this would be a quadnary? Known population: 15.

Edited by zeewool
07/14/2010 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some notes I really want and will probably end up buying are some of the WWII notes and I have always wanted a "funny back".

There are several WWII notes on the "Post Numismatic Items You Want To Sell Here" forum right now.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since nobody else wants to post pictures of their notes, I will continue singularly.

Known population: 64

Pillar of the Community
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  3:11 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Raises hand) I have a question, how do you know how many there are extent? I have quite a few star notes, mostly aces ($1), over the decades, I am going to keep the best types and release (into collectors hands) the rest. I am going to focus on quality types versus quantity (like I am doing with my coins).
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
07/14/2010 3:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of individuals and companies that provide censuses. Martin Gengerke authors a census of large size notes in his "Paper Money Records", but now I believe it is available only in DVD format that can be updated.

Track and Price is an online census of both large and many small size notes and the thing that I like about it is that it provides consistently higher population numbers than any other census that I have found. (Higher numbers equates to higher sense of realism to me). Serial numbers are also listed.

I am fairly realistic in my notion that no census data is entirely correct, and many will rise over time, but for right now, I go with what is known by those who specialize in the field by compiling and listing notes by serial number.

The known population figures that I use are from Track and Price. Some figures change over time, and some of the rarer notes remain at a constant population.

Below is a 1914 FRN star that has remained at a known population of 7 for at least the past seven years. I doubt that more will be found. Yes it is in very ratty condition, but it is what it is....a very rare note.

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on now, doesn't anyone have some stars?

Here is a Chicago star. Known population: 26

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This rag is 1918 FRBN. Known population: a very steady 14.

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1929 FRBN New York. Known population: 18

Edited by zeewool
07/22/2010 8:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1899 Parker / Burke Black Eagle (dirty black). Known population: 55

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05