Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Fair

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  03:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am going to a coin fair located in Florence, Oregon Aug, 20-22. This will be my first coin fair attended can anyone tell me what I can expect? Maybe what I should look for? any opinions would help, thanks everyone!

-Savannah

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add parkquarters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expect lot's of fun
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  03:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are fun!

I usually put together a list of coins that I need to fill holes in my albums with the prices that I expect to be fair and reasonable.

Then I get there and and find something that I haven't started collecting yet that makes me and my want list ends up being the coins that I have avoided at all costs!

Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol I can't wait! thats a great idea, I will make a list of coins I need :) and supplies, do you think there will be supplies there?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There will be tons of everything you need!

But, if you have a local dealer that you deal with, save the supplies for them. Your funds will be better served on coins you need that don't hit your local shop often or soon.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1752 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the sponsor is a local coin club then you might want to consider joining. If not then possilbly the people manning the door could possilbly be fellow collectors who could help you with some questions before you even walk in. We have this happen at the coins shows our club sponsors and we welcome the quetions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2529 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Writing a list has never worked for me. I get to the show, or in your case Savannah, the fair. Then I see what all is being offered. I see my most favorite dealer in the whole world (he is also one of my live auction buddies)and he says "Tim! I have some blue and brown Ike's you want em?" and of course I say yes, because he has them under his table waiting for me to show up and buy them on the first day. I get a good price from him. Then I run across a guy selling wheat's by the pound. I'll look through them and see that they are about half pre 1940 so I'll get five pounds of them for $5 bucks each. Then someone will have a great big sack of mixed Morgans and Peace dollars and I will spend an hour or two going through those on by one. I pick up ten or twelve of those for a couple of hundred dollars. By that time I have been there most of the day and have not gotten anything on the list yet and am close to my allotted budget for the show and still have not bought any raffle tickets yet and will have to bring the wife back on the following day because she usually works on Saturday. All in all expect a whole lot of fun and try not to be overwhelmed by what you see and decide you gotta have it.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Edited by Tim Stroud
07/24/2010 1:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scooby Due - Yes I have a local coin dealer BUT he doesn't sell supplies, and doesn't have very many coins so thats why I was thinking supplies I really need a magnifying glass because I have tons of coins I haven't gone through because I don't want to overlook any of them. Maybe I'll go to the coin fair and buy coins there and then go to the coin shop in florence later and buy supplies from the guy there, he seems really nice I bought a 1909 V.D.B off him last time I was in town.

pyrbob - Good idea, I never thought they may have a coin collectors club there, i'll have to check that out defiantly!

Tim Stroud - I kinda figured i'd be running around like a chicken with its head cut off at this fair lol :) I can't wait for the wheaties I didn't even think that they'd probably be selling them by the pound. Do they usually have unsearched ones at shows/fairs?

Thank you everyone for your opinions :) more are welcomed!
And if you'd like post your coin fair/show buys! I'd love to see the pictures!

thanks!
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Myst to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chicken with your head cut of will most likely apply to the first hour or two at least, it did to me. There's so much to look at you will find yourself just lookin at things with no real idea why some of the time hehe. I would also recommend a list so you have something in particular to search for on the table so you're not just overwhelmed. Also would be a good idea to bring something like a RedBook, because when you inevitably end up looking at something you know nothing about and werent thinkin about getting you can at least look up some info about it and get a feel for price ranges etc.

As for the supplies go ahead and pick up a magnifier it's nice to see one in person to pick out one that's comfortable and you can use it to look at the coins there. Any other supplies you could get later or order online etc.

Other than that don't forget to have a good time and take a few min to look at some of the high priced coins you're not likely to see in person or in your collection (warning: don't drool on the cases, they frown on that )
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Savannah, PM me. I can't PM you, you haven't updated your profile.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Myst - Good idea :) I didn't even think to look at ones I couldn't ever afford right now because I may not ever see them again. It will be a tease but at least I will be able to see them up close and in person :) And i'll try not to drool but that will be just about impossible I'm sure, considering I've been to very few coin shops because I have only been collecting for about 3 or 4 months if that so I haven't seen half the coins a lot of people have in person but I've seen my fair share of pictures thanks to CCF Thanks for your advice! Very much appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scooby Due - I can only find where to email you. and what do I need to do to make it so people can I.M me I'm pretty new here :) thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, PM is e-mail here. Or update your profile so that people can e-mail you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3280 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2010  12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
arrg! im still wish there were more than only 1 coin shows in my area! I've got 1 every month that I can almost always attend, in fact, its tomorrow!
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2010  12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam_E - Lol there is not many in my area at all maybe 1 every few months :( its a bummer! Let us know how it goes if you end up going tomorrow!

Scooby Due - I see will do :) thanks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05