Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Egyptian Ottoman coin AH 1255 year 22 archaeologist question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Belgium
3 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  10:37 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Dear list,

during an excavation in Egypt this year we found a coin (see images) that I think was coined in AH 1255 year 22 (Sultan Abdul Mejid), being 1861 AD. I am hoping some list members could help me out with extra information on value or name of currency of this coin. Our local workmen said the coin also mentioned "Made in Constatini", which I guess must be modern Istanbul.

thx,

Bart

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1492 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Turkish (Ottoman) 40 Para coin.
Mintage 1,450,000
I want to own more medals than a four star general. Give generously
Belgium
3 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,

thanks for info.
Do you have a reference I can put in my report?
Would 40 para be valued in 1861 as what we would call pocket change or could one purchase more significant objects with this? We found the coin in an ancient bedouin camp while working on a pharaonic site.

brgds,

Bart
Valued Member
Belgium
409 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bart,

A well known reference is the one from the Standard Catalog of World Coins: your coin is in the SCWC (also known as Krause for its publisher: Krause Publications) as Turkey 40 para 1255/22 KM#670
KM# is the catalog system established by Krause and Mishler and used in the SCWC.
The mintage for your coin (1255/22) is 4,140,000 instead of the above mentioned 1,450,000 which is the mintage for this coin with date 1255/17
Belgium
3 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the info
Learn More...
Australia
11283 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the Ottoman monetary system of the time, there were 40 para to the qirsh (or piastre), 100 qirsh to the lira. Thus your coin is equivalent to 1 qirsh. It says "40 para" rather than "1 qirsh" because the word "qirsh" was only being used on silver coins.

As for contemporary buying power, consider this: in 1878, the British Empire annexed Cyprus from the Ottomans and gave it its own colonial monetary system, which was a hybrid of British Imperial and Ottoman monetary units: there were 9 piastres to a shilling, instead of the usual 12 pennies.

So I would conclude that a 40 para coin had slightly more buying power than a British penny of the same time period. As would befit it's size. "Small change" in the sense that it was one of the smallest denominations issued, but still quite powerful compared to modern coinage. In an agricultural society like Ottoman Egypt, it probably could have bought enough food to feed a family for a day.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of these but two years older:

Turkey 40 Paras AH 1255 (AD 1839) Year 20 (AD 1858)

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
Roman Coins, Mexican Coins, Favorite Coins, Movie Coins
The San Francisco Mint 1949 Mexico Peso Restrike for China
Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Television
Mexico 1949 Restrike of 1898 Peso for China
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05