Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

lincoln mem. 1964 D

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  12:08 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RMH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i collected coins back in the 1950's through 1970's. I just started going through my coins and came across a roll of 1964 D that were offset stamped leaving the L on Lincoln either on the rim or missing. I can not find any reference to this mint error. can anyone enlighten me? I have a high resolution photo which can not be uploaded, ***Edited by Staff - See Photo Tutorial***.
Ron

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. You should not post your e-mail address publicly.

You can use a site like photobucket to host your pics and link them to here. Or use paint to shrink them to size and they will upload and still retain decent detail.

It sounds like you could possibly have an off-center of misaligned die coin. But, without pics, it is pure speculation.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RMH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the photo is 26+megs so you can blow it up.

*** E-mail address removed by the Staff ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pix is about 520 times too big. Use irfanview to make it 500x500 pixels. If what you want to illustrate isn't visible at that size, it's not going to have any premium value.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think what you're describing is the beginning of the end of the master hub deterioration. The same master from 1909 was used until 1968. Billions of cents were made, requiring millions of dies, which in turn required many masters, and so on up the line to the original.

Each time a die or hub was used to make more, the tons of pressure squeezed the original design from the center to the edge. It might only be a billionth of an inch, but do that a million times, and you've moved the edge detail a thousandth of an inch, enuf to move the L of Liberty (which is what I think you meant) to the edge.

By 1968, it got so bad they re-engraved the design for 1969, to get everything back on the coin. Compare the original, 1968 and 1969 coins,noting that even on a proof 1968, the L is almost off the coin, and note the top of IGWT:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  1:48 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on description alone, I have to agree with biggfredd. This is a well-known issue and is not an error of any kind.
ANA R-3151318
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05