Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

These Jansjo lamps had better be good....

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
16841 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2011  3:08 pm Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am now the proud owner of three Jansjo LED lamps, the ones which members here are using to such great effect. This is what it took me to get them:

- Walk 1-1/4 miles to the train station
- Ride the train 90 minutes into Philadelphia
- Subway from 30th Street to Spring Garden
- Bus from Spring Garden to Columbus Commons
- Walk almost a mile from Columbus Commons to Ikea
- Spend 90 minutes in Ikea, wandering and gazing in childlike wonder at an entirely different way of retailing

Then I bought the lamps, and retraced the above steps in reverse. I walked out of my house at 2:15PM, and didn't get back until 10:30PM. 8 hours and $30 worth of fares for $30 worth of lamps.

These had better be good.

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2011  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one has to hope so!Thats quite a journey..They have got to be better than my desk lamps, don't have an Ikea here...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9595 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2011  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought one as an accessory light...and had the impression it would be good for coin pics too.
I'll do some tests this evening.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  09:19 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since my wife and I converted over to LED lighting in our home, they are all I use now for desk lamps and photo illumination. Only problem I've seen with them is they appear very "small" and pinpoint, so can easily create hotspots. But they are easy to diffuse.

The gooseneck is great for getting light into tight spots. Halogen goosenecks are fine too but they put off so much heat! The head of the Jansjos get warm but their light won't heat up your coin like Halogens will.

SuperDave, I'm sure you will think the time and cost was a total bargain!

By the way, when not being used for photography, I shine mine at the ceiling or wall. They create a nice even warm light in the room...for almost zero energy use.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Edited by rmpsrpms
10/17/2011 09:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5986 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  11:31 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too am waiting for your opinion, the closest distributor for these lamps is in DFW, three hours down the road.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
10/17/2011 11:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  11:41 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems the availability of these is a problem. I have an IKEA fairly near me. I believe strongly in these, so if SuperDave's assessment is positive, and enough folks are interested, I'd be willing to make a mass purchase and ship them out at cost. I think three or maybe 4 will fit in a medium flat rate box. Let me know interest and I'll check to see what will fit and how much it would cost to ship.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6630 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheapest shipped on eBay, 100% feedback. I'm going to order a few.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/modernswede...0.m270.l1313
Learn More...
United States
16841 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  12:42 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're heavy little puppies, that's for sure. Flat Rate shipping is a must. The box is 10-3/4" x 5" x 1-3/4" deep.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're 20 bucks on Amazon, and I get free shipping. Are these good general-purpose coin lamps, or specifically for photography?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9595 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2011  11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a quick pic I took using 1 Jansjø lamps--handheld, not fussing too much w/lighting angle.
Handheld, open @ f2.8 1/500s

Edited by DVCollector
10/17/2011 11:34 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6630 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2011  6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah... I think I like them......

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9595 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2011  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The LEDs seem to bring out a lot of surface details! And, I'm all about the details
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add streg2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$9.99 at West Chester Ohio Ikea location
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I almost bought one when we went to charlotte last month but I was concerned it would not work well. Guess I'll get me one next time.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RMAN4443 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rmpsrpms,that's a very generous offer you made,and as there is no ikea around here,new hampshire,i would be interested in knowing what the unit and shipping costs for 3 of the jansjo lamps would be.I've been following the photography forum and I keep hearing and seeing the results from using this system that I want to try them myself.I don't understand why ikea won't let you purchase them from the website,but I guess they can do things however they want.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I would be interested in 2
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05