Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

These Jansjo lamps had better be good....

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another example of a coin I shot with just one of these lamps.
Not perfect lighting, but I like how the LED helps resolve detail.

Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems the availability of these is a problem. I have an IKEA fairly near me. I believe strongly in these, so if SuperDave's assessment is positive, and enough folks are interested, I'd be willing to make a mass purchase and ship them out at cost. I think three or maybe 4 will fit in a medium flat rate box. Let me know interest and I'll check to see what will fit and how much it would cost to ship
I would be interested in 2 if you do this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  01:01 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, at least 2 folks are interested so I figure on the following.

Up to 4 lamps will fit in a Medium Flat Rate Box.

Cost breakdown would be:
9.99 + 0.90 CA Tax Each = 10.98 ->$11 each
10.95 + 0.70 Priority FRB + Delivery Conf = 11.65 ->$12
1.00 packing peanuts or bubbles
1.00 Gas (assuming at least 5 folks are interested)

Then 2 Lamps would be $36, 3 Lamps $47, and 4 Lamps $58.

Payment by USPS Postal Money Order. Please send payment with Delivery Confirmation or some other sort of tracking.

Although different colors are available I will only buy silver or black. When you email me with the request please let me know how many to buy of which color(s).

I'm going out of town and will return next Fri 11/3, so will give folks until then to email me with their request. I'll make the purchase on Sat 11/4 and ship out early the next week.

I will put delivery confirmation on the package for tracking.

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Learn More...
United States
16833 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  01:22 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If my assessment weren't already positive, I wouldn't have spent 8 hours and the price of the lamps in fares to go get them.

They've already been proven by those more than my equal as photographers. They fit my own personal concept of how a coin light should be structured - very small without being a pin source. They're infinitely positionable, cheap as heck, and last forever. What's not to like?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, how are people getting the best results with these--as single light source or multiples with overlap?
I could certainly buy more..the price is right!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't think these are used as stand alone..It takes a balance of lighting to cover the entire coin without having a shadow effect, with light or detail on one side of the coin and a lack of there on the other side...Remember in general for this post (for COINS) we are dealing in highly detailed examples(photo's) Using at least 2 lights that presents a balance of which is needed for very close up HIGHLY detailed shots..IMHO
Lighting is EXEMPLARY for this field, and different metals require different situations....The one thing I might not. is....The size of these lamps, are quite small...so they may be even closer upon the coin, reflecting better to the "SENSOR" than larger bulb types..Such as the CFL type bulbs
many use today, but are very large and present a larger distanse angle from the light source to the camera..
SO the CFL bulbs, with the lamp enclosure, is much farther away from being directly over head on top of the coin..
meaning the smaller lamp can be closer to being directly over and the "best angle of lighting possible over the coin" even with a smaller lamp.....Remember its all about the light not the wattage..and how they can be used
Learn More...
United States
16833 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  04:09 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm about to shine one on a coin for the first time. In practice, they're quite similar to the MR16 halogens I normally use, which are mounted on gooseneck track fittings and deploy from above rather than below. One of the main things I actually expect to gain is a lessening of the ambient temperature around my photography - the halogens used to get dimmed down after each image if I was moving the coin, just so my lens hood wouldn't melt.

I'm going to lose in terms of exposure, because these are not nearly as bright as the halogens. I suspect this might actually become a factor with duller coins, as there are times I'm already down to 1/15 with 100 watts of halogen beating down on the coin. There will be times when the halogens will be favored over the LED's; this will be reflected in my final lighting setup.

The basic technique hasn't changed. It's still either "one at 2:00" or "two at 10 and 2," with the final angle determined by the relative luminosity of the coin, according to the paradigm by which we've been taught constitutes a "good coin picture."

However, the Jansjo's offer a huge potential over the halogens in that they can easily be used with tweaks such as Ray's Super Diffuser design, which has thrown me into a whole 'nuther frame of mind about how to shoot truly lustrous stuff. I'm going to move for a bit towards longer exposures under lesser lighting, maybe with some directed diffusion (think about that term without your brain hurting ). It might be possible to somewhat tweak that paradigm we've been living under.

It's gonna be a long winter. I have a lot to play with, and these Jansjo's are but one player in the game. The first foray will be more in the P&S direction; I've a new one which seems to rather enjoy shooting coins. Mind you, this was hastily set up (with two Jansjos), no Custom White Balance, handheld, and downsized to post here:

That was the 8th image I've shot with the camera, and the very first on the Macro setting. I'm amazed that it was able to do this at 1/160 in Aperture Priority, and stabilize the image with my moving-target hands. It's a heck of a little piece, my first non-Canon camera with this kind of promise, and worth finding out what it can actually do.

What camera? Heh. Either extract the EXIF data (it's still there), or wait for the thread.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  08:28 am  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also joining the jansjo light bandwagon. I have a nearby Ikea and bought two black for $9.99 each. I'd been trying to finagle a setup using CFLs (rather than 4ft shop lights) but figured for the price I'd get the recommended stuff. I'm using a simple point and shoot also.

I like that they have screw holes so can be mounted independent of the base. I haven't tried it, but in the future I might ditch the heavy, bulky base and mount them separately.

-wheatiefan
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  10:00 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an example showing the Jansjo's mounted to my microscope stand. This is an old pic showing my original Super Diffusers. I'm using my new Directors now...Ray

Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lobby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool info. I need to get to an Ikea...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty sweet lighting setup! I need to get another lamp or two and improve my lighting technique.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RMAN4443 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
let me start by saying thanks for the offer rmp,but I'm gonna have to cancel out on the 3 lamps I asked about earlier.It was very generous of you to offer to go out of your way like that.The reason I'm canceling is because I was at TARGET the other day and found an almost identical clone of the janso lamps.The cost was 14.99,so I picked up 3 of them,and they seem to work very well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2011  12:27 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, so far no takers on my offer. I'll give everyone til Fri as planned but unless I get around 5 folks interested in these it won't make sense to pool the purchase...Ray
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5047 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  01:54 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look nice, I have an Ikea near me in North Dallas, says they are in stock, hope they still have them when I get back home from Santa Clara next week. Thanks for the tip.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Learn More...
United States
16833 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  02:06 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think finding them in stock will be a problem. At the store I went to, they were bulkstacked by the hundreds at differing locations - I think they're a loss-leader.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05