Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finland 1942 Markka--shattered die, two die states

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9596 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2011  11:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just felt my earlier post deserved an update, when I found the same shattered die on a 1942 Markka, only an earlier die state Pretty cool to see!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2011  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes similar damage patterns form on multiple dies as a result of a striking problem that is consistent to the dies. It may be a little extra pressure over that one area, who knows. I don't think these are from the same die. The biggest sign is that the coin on the left has an additional die crack running vertical from the bottom left rosette to the left tip of the sword. This is missing on the coin on the right, rather than being clearly visible in progression.
Also, the mint mark is a bit different on the two coins, beyond just die state.
Edited by Numismat
11/01/2011 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9596 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2011  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your observation! I also saw a few inconsistencies, but just wondered if the die could really fracture so similarly above the "19", as well as crack across the lion's outstretched paw...in just the same way? Then again, there is a crack through the rosette on the left coin, that is absent on the right coin...so yeah, two different dies.
Edited by DVCollector
11/01/2011 8:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2011  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A member on another coin forum posted these two coins as possibly being from the same die, but again you can see a difference in the angle and curvature of the crack. Also, the 2 in the date is a slightly different style, just as with the mint marks on your coins.

This is why I'm beginning to think the problem may stem form the striking process rather than the dies themselves. We often see coins that have excessive weak striking consistent to one portion of the design. It's very possible the parts that get the brunt of the force can fracture in similar fashion, especially with consistent post-industrial processes.

Edited by Numismat
11/01/2011 8:42 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05