Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln cent date set...loaded with mint marks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2011  01:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm going to toss this out here for your consideration and have to admit to not knowing exactly how to value it.

Here's the deal....I bought this set to cherry pick 2 coins from it, a 1914-S and a 1931-D. I swapped philly minted coins for both of those coins. The set still includes a 15-S and a 22-D which was previosly an "encased" cent. It's a bit smaller diameter as a result.

You can see that the bottom edge of the folder has some damage from water. This meant that there were several coins that were damaged. I removed every damaged coin from the set, except for a couple from 1990 to 1995, which can be had in pocket change. With the 2 exceptions noted above, in every instance that I could, I pulled a damaged philly coin and substituted a D or an S with no issues.

There are some more difficult issues in here that don't quite make it to the "key" level, but which are still tougher to locate.

I guess I'd value this set at ca 50.00 in trade value. I'm into classic coinage, no coins with statesmen or presidents on them. Aside from that criteria, I'm open to offers. What'cha got?

Check out the pics:

Chance

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6049 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2011  5:21 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Chance, want to trade for anything Canadian?
True North
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect anything Canadian, sorry.

Chance
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The set might be of interest to somebody, but it's really not worth $50. I've followed the selling prices of many vol.1 lincoln sets on eBay because I cherry pick those and sometimes pick up good values and sell the keys. The entire contingent of 41-present isn't adding much value in this condition. This set would have a winning auction bid of maybe $15-$20, and half of that is people buying the 15-S.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
838 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bibd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In defense of the seller, don't forget there's a VDB, 22-D, and 23-S. More importantly, the 33-D is really nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These don't eat much. Trading them is an option, and keeping them is another option. If nobody wants them, or if I value them too highly and nobody wants them, so be it. I'll simply keep them.

Chance
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In defense of the seller, don't forget there's a VDB, 22-D, and 23-S. More importantly, the 33-D is really nice!

I'm sure there is somebody out there that MIGHT want this but...

for people in the US, everyone already falls into one of 4 categories, those who have this set, those who just want single coins for their set, those who want a better quality set, or those looking to resell singles. The fact that its a date set and not a full set makes it even harder.

A buyer looking to resell the coins would only value the set based off what he can sell. I'd think I might get $7 outta that 15-S, $3 out of the 22-D since its damaged, $5 out of the VDB, and about $8 total out of the 31-33 bunch. Everything else, including the low end 23-S is unsellable if you factor in fees and shipping. That brings me to $23, and I need to make a profit so I wouldn't bid higher than $15 on this if it were an eBay item.

I don't doubt that if you accurately grade each coin and add up your fair market values you may even exceed $50, but since there is almost 0 market for this as a set, people will only pay for individual coins.

I've been speculating on this area of lincolns for a while and seen 100's of auctions. I say I'd only bid $15 and I can't see anybody else bidding higher than $20. Maybe $25 if you don't disclose the 22-D is shrunk, but that would be unfair.

Might be worth a trade for you Canadian fellows that just want some US coins though

Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't reallize the bidding had begun. Oh, wait a minute ... it didn't.

Chance
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, apparently offense was taken at my explanation of the value of the coins. Maybe the trading boards aren't fair game for discussion of items, and should be reserved for those looking to actually make trades. I can accept that argument, however, one could also say I was protecting potential traders at getting ripped off by the OP claiming (or at minimum, guessing) a value of about $50, when I can attest to the fact people can get a similar set for $20 or less.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're making it all better now .... I'm a rip off artist.

I didn't list these here for you, or for anybody else to profit from. As a hobbiest myself, I have pieces that I like more than others. Some become expendable if something else strikes my fancy. I'm not running a wholesale coin business. I'm offering to trade for like value. You can disagree with my assessment if you wish, but I'd prefer you not call me a rip off artist.

The other point that should be made .... is that eBay is where you spend money for listed items....items are not offered for any kind of trading with fellow hobbyists.

I do find your meddling troublesome, and I am offended at the accusations leveled at me.

Chance
Edited by Chancellor Sutler
11/06/2011 4:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I do apologize for the phrase "I was protecting potential traders at getting ripped off by the OP claiming...". I do not believe you were actively trying to rip anybody off.

I do, however, think it is completely acceptable for me to question, simply for argument's sake if nothing else, the value one has associated in their trades. You are basically stating that since this is not a marketplace and just a trading environment, such talk is "troublesome". So why offer up any value at all, like you did, especially one that I have legitimately explained is very high.

I'll answer it for you. It's because that is your suggestion as to what value you'd like in return for your item. In essence, any retail store, is simply suggesting a monetary value in exchange for their goods. This is no different...and a trade of items is no different than a trade of item for cash. To continue the analogy, what I did was no different than telling a shopper that a particular good can be purchased for a much better price somewhere else.

As far as the meddling...you should thank me. Our discussion has kept this thread in the last 100 for a while now. Usually trade threads get buried really quickly as interest wanes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I accept your apology, and FWIW I can even accept your explanation of what the set is worth to you. I believe I was totally candid when I told everybody up front that I really didn't know how to value it. Yes, my suggestion of a value trade wise was just that ... a suggestion. In any walk of life ... cash buys better. It's not unusual in my trade, fretted instruments, for an assigned trade value to be higher than a cash out the door price.

I was not being dubious in this offering. I made it about trading, and you made it about buying. This set isn't for sale.

I guess list values are only guides anyway ... but value is totally subjective. I might have something I essentially paid diddly for, that has a list value of whatever .... and I think .... 'it ain't worth that to me, but if it is to the next guy ... great". Get where I'm coming from? I have a bunch of old foreign material that would really trip somebody's trigger .... but it just doesn't "do it" for me.

Trust me ..... I won't offer to trade them here. I'm done. Want something from me .... buy it on eBay.

Chance
Edited by Chancellor Sutler
11/06/2011 5:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2011  10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add springcypress to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see both sides to this... The easiest way I've found to do trades on here is for the "value" to be determined by the OP. The OP needs to state how he came to that "value" and it needs to be something that is tangible. This makes it much easier to trade like for like. So if the OP states that an item is "valued" at $50 because that is what SoandSo price guide says, then the trade item would also need to be valued from the same SoandSo price guide.

For myself, I've been using the 2006 RedBook for the last few years.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
838 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2011  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bibd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For myself, I've been using the 2006 RedBook for the last few years.

Me too, actually. It's sad that the book is 5 years old and still overprices coins!
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2011  01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd personally, based on what I've seen on eBay, value this a bit higher than $23, but not at $50. I could trade a nice seated/barber/bust coin if interested. Keep in mind also that he said $50 canadian, which is a bit lower than $50 USD.
Edited by coinguybrian
11/11/2011 01:07 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05