Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

J.O.P silver dollars?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2011  7:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i see in the charlton some of the silver dollars have a J.O.P what does this mean and why did they put it on some of the silver dollars like the 39,38,37,36 and 35?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
900 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2011  8:44 pm  Show Profile Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Jeweler in B.C.. Hand stamped them. Joseph Olivia Patenaude
Edited by nickelsguy
11/10/2011 8:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1115 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2011  9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 54dollarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rumoured that Benny Lee in Vancouver ended up with a set of the punches back in the 1970's. many types and varieties. Also many different dates qv. 2011 ICCs pop report. One has to question why would counterstamped ( ie damaged) pieces have a place in the Standard Catalogue of Canadian coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  09:34 am  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It amazes me how a non-Numismatist can deface coins by illegally stamping his initials on them decades ago, and now they are worth a premium to buy?
Am I missing something?

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, maybe you should invest $1,000 and try pounding glenzy1 into a 1000 loonies (ya never know?)

... then in 20 years or so, I'll write an article about the legendary glenzy1 and we'll see if the value of the "gloonie" skyrockets ... sound like a plan?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
stevex6, outstanding idea.
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  3:26 pm  Show Profile Check Lithanial's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just make sure nobody can counterfeit it.
Waiting for Ziz
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2011  05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patenude was one of the people who agitated to get Canada a silver dollar, to have it in currency. He purchased these coins- $500-1000 a year, and gave them out to customers, as an advertisement. He was a jeweler and watch maker in Nelson, BC. He looked on it something like the countermarked tokens (Devins and Boulton, I believe) of an earlier age. There are several good articles ion the RCNA journal on Patenaude and the dollars.
Valued Member
Australia
109 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  10:48 pm  Show Profile Check oasis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oasis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just had the 2012 Charlton sent to me and was really looking forward to see the section on Dollar varieties. Needless to say I am very disappointed, most of the "varieties" are just counterstamped JOP types.

Now I get that some people would be interested in the history behind these coins, but how on earth can they be considered varieties? At the end of the day it is only a book but it does have considerable standing in Canadian numismatics and now they consider post-mintage defacing as collector types.

And how can a counterstamped coin be assigned an MS grade anyway? I understood a mint state or uncirculated coin to be as issued from the mint.

Sneak preview of 2013 - those "coins" you find on eBay where someone has joined two reverses together will now be a new variety?

Sorry about the rant, for some reason this really bothers me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4613 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right oasis the JOP dollars have no place in a section titled "Silver Dollar Die Varieties".It's an insult to collectors.I could rant but I won't.
Edited by DBM
01/22/2012 12:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*yikes*

glenzy1 => ummmm, perhaps my "gloonie" idea isn't quite as slick as I first thought? (maybe hold off on it for a bit)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1321 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already have varieties named after me.

Every time you see a scarred, mangled, defaced or otherwise horrid coin and say "Wow, is that ever UGLY" , well that's me. I'm going to Trade Mark that phrase in relation to coins and get a buck every time someone says it.

I really don't understand why they are of such significance unless the publishers friend has a stash of them he wants to get better prices for. Not that this would ever happen in an up and up place like Canadian Numismatics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4613 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really don't understand why they are of such significance unless the publishers friend has a stash of them he wants to get better prices for. Not that this would ever happen in an up and up place like Canadian Numismatics.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw who the contributor of the JOP dollars was.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05