Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 $1 Silver Certificate -- How Did I Do?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3083 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  09:56 am Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey, all!

As I mentioned in another thread, I just went to my first coin show and, in addition to all the coins I picked up, I decided to get my first ever "oversized" currency. I've always been fascinated by these, but the prices always seemed out of reach for decent quality examples. I really had my eye on the ones with the fancy artwork on them, but those were way out of my league. At the end of the day, though, I still had a little cash in hand and decided to get this specimen:

The dealer had a range of examples, from $90 for a wrinkled an folded one, to $300 for one in mint condition. I decided to split the difference and got this one for $210. That's more than I spent on most of the coins I bought at the show, but as I said, I've always wanted one of these and wanted to get a nice one.

How did I do? The dealer originally wanted $220 and I got him to come down a bit to $210, but I really have no idea if I paid fair value or got totally ripped off.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very good looking note but sadly you paid too much for it. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but don't feel bad. I have purposely paid more for something when I really want it since the value of something is directly proportional to the desire to have it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3083 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  10:39 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, that's all right. I knew I was buying a pig in a poke since I've never taken the time to research these ahead of time, and I figured there was a good chance I overpaid.

Now, the question is how much I overpaid. Are we talking a $100 note here or a $25 note?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is a reasonable price on a note like this? So others, like myself who don't have a clue, don't overpay in the future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2011  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the plus side, it's a very attractive note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  1:56 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, I want one too! My only saddle blanket is a 1899 Black Eagle a friend gave me.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
11/19/2011 1:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3083 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  3:54 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I decided if I was going to spend hundreds of dollars I might as well get the nicest quality one I could afford instead of getting a poor example of a rarer bill.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05