Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1923 $1 Silver Certificate -- How Did I Do?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
barryg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  09:56 am Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey, all!

As I mentioned in another thread, I just went to my first coin show and, in addition to all the coins I picked up, I decided to get my first ever "oversized" currency. I've always been fascinated by these, but the prices always seemed out of reach for decent quality examples. I really had my eye on the ones with the fancy artwork on them, but those were way out of my league. At the end of the day, though, I still had a little cash in hand and decided to get this specimen:

The dealer had a range of examples, from $90 for a wrinkled an folded one, to $300 for one in mint condition. I decided to split the difference and got this one for $210. That's more than I spent on most of the coins I bought at the show, but as I said, I've always wanted one of these and wanted to get a nice one.

How did I do? The dealer originally wanted $220 and I got him to come down a bit to $210, but I really have no idea if I paid fair value or got totally ripped off.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very good looking note but sadly you paid too much for it. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but don't feel bad. I have purposely paid more for something when I really want it since the value of something is directly proportional to the desire to have it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  10:39 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, that's all right. I knew I was buying a pig in a poke since I've never taken the time to research these ahead of time, and I figured there was a good chance I overpaid.

Now, the question is how much I overpaid. Are we talking a $100 note here or a $25 note?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is a reasonable price on a note like this? So others, like myself who don't have a clue, don't overpay in the future.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1397 Posts
Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2011  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the plus side, it's a very attractive note.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  1:56 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, I want one too! My only saddle blanket is a 1899 Black Eagle a friend gave me.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
11/19/2011 1:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2011  3:54 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I decided if I was going to spend hundreds of dollars I might as well get the nicest quality one I could afford instead of getting a poor example of a rarer bill.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05