Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ugly Coin

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
320 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  4:35 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A friend of mine who owns a business got this in a roll from the bank and saved it for me. This is one of the ugliest coins I have seen in circulation. I bet others have seen some really ugly coins as well.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1431 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clean It and see its face value. Seems to me that it's a cent. Usually, this kind of problem coin can't be in a circulation roll. But, just clean it and maybe it's an old coin worth some cash!
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, nice => it looks a bit like it has been battered and then deep fried! ... ummmm yah I agree with Petersun => this is one time when you might as well try to clean the coin, because it's not worth anything if people don't even know what type of coin it is, right?

wow ... where do you start? (I'd wait until one or two of the Big-Shooters comes-up with a good game-plan) ... because I'll I got is => acetone and gently pick-off the big junk to see if there is anything underneath! (which is probably not what the experts are gonna suggest!?)

Hey, I did find this suggestion for cleaning verdigris from jewelry and coins:

Fill a container with enough vinegar to completely submerge the jewelry. Then place the piece into the container.

Allow the jewelry to sit for approximately 20 minutes, then remove the piece from the mixture. Use a cotton swab or a toothpick to remove loose pieces of verdigris form the jewelry. If there is still more verdigris that won't easily come off, return the jewelry to the mixture.

Rinse the jewelry with warm water and then dry it.

but again => you may want to wait until a more seasoned coin veteran chimes-in with a suggestion
Edited by stevex6
11/12/2011 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a Mexican 10 peso coin on the beach in Mexico that lookes a lot like this coin maybe from the salt water
Pillar of the Community
Canada
859 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt about it...you are the winner of the ugliest coin contest..
Valued Member
Canada
320 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a one cent coin. I can see an A and D in the word CANADA, making it 1937 and newer.
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 54dollarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hands down an ugly POS
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2011  9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Corrosion and scaling! Not Good!
Not Much hope for this one!
At this point it really doesnt matter which method of cleaning is used. Start mild and then get aggressive if need be.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1431 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From 1937?
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Valued Member
Canada
320 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see the D and A of Canada on it, therefore the design is between 1937 and 2011
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8710 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ancient coin guys throw these sort of items into an olive oil soak for a year.
Fill up a small pill bottle with olive oil, and drop the coin into it, and forget for a year.

In a lot of cases that hard inorganic skunge can then be taken off with a soft toothbrush. It is then possible to examine just what surface damage the coin has sustained. You might recover a good coin, you might not; at least it should be identifiable.

This is a method commonly used by archeologists for bronze coins taken fom find sites.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ummmm, if that's a Canadian penny from 1937-to-date, then I'd spend it and hope nobody asked any questions ...
Valued Member
Canada
320 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually have an ugly coin collection. It contains some others like this, bent, corroded, or mutilated coins that I have found in circulation.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only Canadian coins I've ever seen with that amount of deterioration are pennies 96-present. I have dug them out of the ground with my detector in that condition and I have seen them in rolls (don't ask how they ended up in there). In my opinion, our current pennies aren't worth the effort to mint.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its ugly and will always be so.
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Barrie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey... I lost that coin in the Winnipeg 1950 flood... and have been looking for it ever since.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05