Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Olympic gold and silver kilos - first look

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
UK Royal Mint Representative
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2011  04:50 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone,

The Royal Mint, in partnership with the Royal Academy, today unveiled Britain's first ever UK Kilo coin - designed by one of the most influential sculptors of modern times, Sir Anthony Caro.

At £100,000 and containing one kilo of fine gold - only 60 will ever be produced, making this gold coin one of the most exclusive pieces of London 2012 memorabilia.

In addition to the gold Kilo, a silver Kilo has also been designed by fellow Royal Academy member and internationally renowned artist, composer and writer Tom Phillips. Priced at £3,000, 2012 silver Kilos will be minted.

Both gold and silver Kilo coins are UK legal tender, meaning both designs have been personally approved by Her Majesty The Queen and feature her effigy, designed by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS, on the obverse. This also means you could spend this coin on face value goods if you so wanted!

More pictures will be available soon through our website where it will also be available to buy!

Do let us know what you think either here or on our Facebook page

Edited by James Royal Mint
11/22/2011 04:54 am
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2011  06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now online at: http://www.royalmint.com/olympicgam...omcode=W12FB

Pillar of the Community
Germany
769 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2011  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will you being doing these for a fiver at any point? I might be able to afford them then! Hehe!
Bahrain
9 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2011  12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add photo123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say this James, but I think the kilo coin is ugly, regardless of the designer and why he design it that way, this is only my opinion and I am in no way an expert in art or design.

United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2011  06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't have to be sorry! Opinions are welcome. The kilo coin has the highest relief of any coin we've ever minted. It was a very difficult design to produce and in the flesh has a real tactile quality due to its smooth, sculpted surface. Very unusual for a coin to have such a hand made feel. It feels like an historic artifact. The silver kilo offers a strong contrast, sharp lines and precision.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
769 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2011  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think if that had been produced in the first year sculpting class that I did at uni it would get very bad marks! And this is from someone who has a knighthood for sculpting, hmm!

Even the weights look odd, not round to the eye! But luckily they are too expensive for most people to actually care! It is really just another reason to legally hoard gold!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
208 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2011  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinaholic73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woah! 3x spot price for the silver! I'll pass but I expect them all to go.

James, why does the Royal Mint not produce more bullion coins other than Britannias & Sovereigns?
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2011  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, is the truthful answer. There is no limit on the number of bullion coins produced, but the range is limited to those two coins.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1987 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  03:16 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must admit - I don't find any artistic merit in them either. The silver coin reminds me of the Coronation 50th anniversary £5 coin - and while I do quite like the "Lord of the Rings - runes type font" there's not much else going on there.
Italy
16 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2011  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PiVi1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I collect one kilo silver coins commemorating sport events, so I had to order the silver one.

It is quite interesting to have the coins designed by important sculptors: I think it is more or less a prime in the world of numismatics, especially for coins this size.
Surely a design by Damien Hirst would have fetched immediately a huge premium, but Anthony Caro is a very big name in art, too... maybe not so much in numismatics.

I hope there could be in 2012 the silver version of Caro's coin, otherwise I'll stick with Phillips' one.
I hope also that this couple of kilo coins will be just the first of a series of similar-sized coins from the Royal Mint.
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The conversations happening at The Royal Mint reflect your thinking PiVi. We want to be pushing the envelope somewhat and looking to bring art and numismatics into the same space wherever possible....whilst also retaining the unique position we hold by virtue of our 1100 year history.

Tom Phillips posted up a blog post detailing some of his design thinking behind the silver kilo. I added it to our Facebook page this morning and you can find the original post here:

http://tomphillipsinfo.blogspot.com...ic-coin.html
Pillar of the Community
Germany
769 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem here can be that you have Matthew Dent designing coins for example, he is a designer, a 2D designer and his coins reflect the 2D nature of his profession.
Historically coin designers have been sculptors because of the 3D nature of a coin. I spoke with David Cornell and he is a renowned sculptor who has worked on many different coins.
But also when designing coins it is hard to know what you are going to get. David not only designs but he also made his model for his Olympic 50p and other coins, so he had an advantage over those who did not have the opportunity to experiment.

I sent in various designs for the Olympic 50p competition and those that I views are playing in 3D were only seen in 2D, which gives it a much harder impression.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter who has done the design, it should be a high quality design, and people at the mint should not be afraid to say "that's a load of ****". Perhaps a panel of people should be formed, made of ordinary people, and ask them what they think about the coin designs.

Question. For these coins was one person tasked with the design, or were various people given the opportunity and then someone decided on one?
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Royal Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it is very difficult to appreciate a coin design fully before it is minted. We do listen to feedback, and all the comments from this forum will be fed back to the product development teams!
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add satxwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love to watch the Olympics. Will never buy Olympic coins. I just don't get excited about them. Strange considering I love sports.
Valued Member
Ireland
207 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2011  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add greeniejim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really say the Kilo coin lights my flame either, regardless of who the designer is. I personally think the RM are producing far too many commemoratives on an annual basis, It seems to be if you can think of any historical event thats happened or going to happen in GB there will be a commemorative out there somewhere for it, if not there will be soon. My family think its great as they have a bigger selection to buy from on Birthdays and Xmas, The RM should stick to coins of legal tender, with the odd commemorative for SPECIAL events OCCASIONALLY. Thats my opinion for what its worth
Pillar of the Community
United States
2533 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2011  5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver coin is ok, but the gold is just awful. I think the Royal Mnt needs to fire some people. The gold looks like it was designed by a 5 year old. It's just a bunch of random stuff thrown onto a coin. No focal point or emotion to it. I'll stick with the 19th century stuff thanks.
Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05