Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Photography

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

So sharp, it hurts

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
SsuperDdave
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  5:13 pm Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

From the first shutter click, I realized just how completely outclassed any macro lens I've ever owned is, by this amazing APO-Rodagon D. I've literally had to disable in-camera sharpening if shooting jpegs, and process with zero sharpening if RAW.

It's incomprehensible, and beyond anything I've ever pointed at a coin. This will take some getting used to.

Oh, by the way - go buy one.

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some awesome pics! How is the color compared to the actual coin? --It looks like it would probably be pretty close, right?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2427 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will that thing fit a Sony A mount?
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  6:58 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color is flawless. It's a dark coin, and I can't overstate how perfectly the ARD captured the look.

Tim, this is a bellows-mounted lens, and as such can be adapted to just about anything.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  7:19 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave...glad you got the setup running and are experiencing the "Joys of the Rodagon".

For those of you who are looking to buy one of these, be careful...there are two versions:

1) 75mm f4 Apo Rodagon D M 1:1 (75ARD1)
2) 75mm f4.5 Apo Rodagon D M=2 (75ARD2)

You do NOT want the 75ARD2. It is supposedly optimized for 2:1 magnification, but the 75ARD1 actually outperforms it at 2:1, and completely outclasses it at 1:1.

...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  8:05 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thing is staggering, Ray. Added sharpening literally screws up the image. You know my Canon experience is extensive, and Canon's macro lenses have a deserved record for quality, but this Rodenstock is simply in another league.

And it's no more expensive than competing macro lenses.

I'm going to need a learning curve to get the best out of this incredible lens.

Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaycutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a really nice photo! Maybe some day.
Pillar Of The Community
9157 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really amazing pic!
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1385 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  11:33 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 75ARD1 usually sells on eBay for around $200 in used condition or $300 in near-mint. They can still be bought new for $650.

As SuperDave mentioned it needs a bellows to focus as it does not have a focus helicoid. It is NOT an enlarging lens, but like most enlarging lenses it mounts with M39 threads and it also "looks" like one.

The "D" stands for Duplicating. It is intended for 1:1 duplication such as slide copying or film printing.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2011  03:48 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! A quick google image search of "75mm f4 Apo Rodagon D M 1:1" returns some amazing close up macro shots! What a great lens, wish I hadn't sold my pentax belows II a couple of years ago, I could never find the right lens for it! Now I have to keep my eyes out for one of these too!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2011  03:51 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How close is the lens element to the coin when you shot this. When I used my bellows set up way back when I found it hard to light the coin as it was always so close to the lens. THis was before all the cool new LED lamps like the Ikea Jansjo lamps I just picked up.

Amazing shot!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2011  11:14 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How close is the lens element to the coin when you shot this.

If I recall, I was about in the middle of the available adjustment range for this Cent, call it 8-10" With the Jansjos, that's a non-event.

Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  12:09 am  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Shutter Bugs,
I'm back for my next lesson.
Super Dave enticed me to this site to share his and other's expertise with me. (I being a complete novice.)
In rather short time I learned how to take a picture and processes it.
I have a Pentax K-x with a Sigma Macro 1:2.8 50mm lens.
As as VAMer, I want details of Morgan and Peace dollars. Usually cropped from whole coin photos.
Example: an 1885-O with a mark on the reverse. Right wreath third cluster down. Center leaf.

I'm giggling with joy that you all have given me the power to do this.
But now I need to consider the next step.

The Rodagon 75mm APO Rodenstock D lens. I'm convinced it is the Holy Grail for my coin shoots. And knowing what to look for, I can monitor eBay and my bank account, and eventually purchase "The Golden Lens."
But then what?
I have some issues to resolve before I begin shooting.
One, what goes between the camera and the lens.
Two, how do I hold this arrangement of precision components in order to take photographs.
One, the bellows. On one end it must fit my camera. And fortunately Pentax is rather universal in this matter. But next, the Rodenstock lens must fit the bellows.
It is here that I get confused (and let's not panic, as confusion is my normal state of affairs.) But I have looked on eBay and found several bellows. Some look flimsy, cheap and loose. Others look like fine quality. But only one indicated (what I believe to be the lens to bellows connection as a ((Pentax)) M42.)
And if I understand correctly, the Rodenstock lens has a M39 thread pattern.
If a thread adapter is to be used, in order to make the arrangement work, wouldn't introducing one more component add to fidelity degradation?
On the other hand, I saw an ASAHI Honeywell Pentax Auto bellows for SLR 35mm cameras w/ Pentax mount. But it didn't give specifications for the Rodenstock to bellows fit.
If I can figure out the hardware issues, I can start my hunt for components. Which leads us to issue two.
The bellows is the frame on which I add a lens to one end, a camera to the other. And the tripod (or in my case, drill press mount,) attaches to the bellows?
This is imaginable if the camera/bellows/lens assembly is horizontal. But then the coin would have to be vertical. Unless we use mirrors.
If the camera/bellows/lens is verticle, it must put a great strain on the mounting screw.
So maybe the easiest route would be if you Rodenstock users shared a photo of your set-up.
You don't need to sell me on the lens, just help me get it into production.
Thanks All,
Kurt
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  01:04 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can help, Kurt. First, here's Santoku, with the Canon and Rodenstock mounted:

The bellows attaches to Santoku with one hardened 1/4" steel screw, and the connection is rock-solid. The Rodenstock screws into the bottom of the bellows natively, and the top required an M42 -> EOS adapter. I do not know if Ray (rmpsrpms) altered either mount; it doesn't look like it.

These adapters are open, no optics involved. The spacing they introduce is irrelevant; magnification and focus are controlled by the bellows which you'll likely manipulate for each differing coin. With Santoku, I establish the degree of magnification using the bellows itself - the farther the lens is from the camera, the greater the magnification. Then I adjust focus by varying the position of the whole bellows unit, camera and all, using the large black knobs at bottom.

Here's my recommendation, if you wish to go this way:

First, consult with Ray regarding how best to arrange a bellows setup. This is my first, he built it, and he's a master. It's quite possible he could create something for you at a very reasonable price, knowing what you already have for componentry.

Second, find one of the cheaper bellows lenses such as Ray discusses here:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=102384

Use this lens as your introduction to bellows photography. You may just find that the Rodenstock is an unnecessary investment. What it provides is no more than the last 5% of quality, and the first 95% is very good indeed as you'll see here:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=98494

Pillar Of The Community
United States
541 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  12:01 pm  Show Profile Check Lobby's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lobby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an absolutely fabulous photo!

Congrats! And wonderful thread, too.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05