Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

7 sequential uncirculated 1985 Star series US$100 bills

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Naddeo
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2011  9:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Naddeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello All,

Please can you help me appraise these 7 sequential uncirculated 1985 Star series US$100 bills?
How can I sell them? I am not a collector, I got them in a Bank and realized that they should be worth something so I kept them.

Any help is really welcome.

Thanks!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are a nice find! Do not fold them or write on them! If you can, visit a local coin dealer and get
some nice, PVC-free currency holders to store the notes in.

There were about 1.3 million of these '85 "D" star notes made and at one time they had a book value of around 4X face value. The ones you have appear to be very nice. I'd venture to guess that you probably have the most intact consecutive serial numbered ones of them still around!

The problem selling them all at once is it is a lot of money to tie up by a dealer or collector. (There are a not a lot of 100$ bill collectors to begin with.)

Most, (not all!), local coin dealers would not offer much over face value for them.

In my opinion, you'd be better off trying to market them individually or in pairs on one of the mainstream auction sites. The object of the game, if you are trying to sell them, is to get them in front of as many potential buyers as you can without overloading the market and driving the price down. (ie...don't list them all at once!)

Hope that helps!
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  06:44 am  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the do-not-fold or mark comments!

Selling on eBay is an option, but has lots of downsides if you are not an experienced eBay seller. Buyers may not want to buy high-value items from you, your listings might not attract much attention, you might be surprised by fees, etc...

I think a lot of the value is that they are consecutive, so selling one at a time might not be the best idea. Sometimes on eBay sellers list each note in an individual auction (7 auctions total for you) all ending at about the same time. The hope is that a bidding war breaks out for people that want consecutive numbers. If you list them one at a time that won't happen.

My advice would be to do some online searching for dealers of similar notes. If you find a few dealers selling $100 star notes, email them with pictures of what you have and ask for an offer. Keep in mind the costs for shipping and insurance also.

Local dealers will not give you anywhere near the price a specialty currency dealer online will give you. In fact, they might offer you less and sell to the same guy!

-wheatiefan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5901 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  09:05 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Naddeo

Definite candidates for certification; PCGS, CGA, PMG, C.G.C., etc...

Not sure, but most of these grading companies have membership dues to submit directly. There are coin dealers who can submit on your behalf.

Nice notes!

I would list them individually, and not at the same time, spread them out over a period of weeks (one per week)to obtain maximum potential.

That was a great image you captured on your very first post on the CCF. Did you use a scanner? I need to organize my paper currency.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
12/13/2011 3:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may be able to double your money on those. In some instances a slabbed note with a high grade may sell for $375 but in reality getting $150 - $200 a note would be more realistic.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Naddeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great responses! I did not expected so much help and replies, I am very grateful and much more informed now.

Thanks Nickelman, oih82w8, wheatiefan and westernsky!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05