Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bellows

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  8:34 pm Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I feel compelled to alert the members here to a nice bellows available on eBay. I have no affiliation with the seller. The Vivitar Triple Track bellows is M42 on both ends, is very rigid and has a very short standoff from the mount. This is one of my favorite bellows and I am hoping someone on this group who might be looking for a good bellows to go with an El-Cheapo (or even expensive) lens picks this up. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13063020852....m1438.l2649

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Learn More...
United States
17352 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  12:22 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody please snag this. It's the bellows I'm using with Santoku - Ray chose that one as the best-possible component for what I asked from him - and if it has faults, I haven't found them yet.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  04:28 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another alert...and again, I have no affiliation. This auction is for a Pentax Auto Bellows, and includes a Nikon 105mm EL-Nikkor lens and M42-M39 adapter. I usually figure a 105mm EL-Nikkor lens is worth $75-100, and a Pentax Auto Bellows $100-125, so the Buy It Now price of $139 is a pretty good deal if you need both bellows and lens, and the adapter looks very nice. Note that the Pentax Auto Bellows is a "mid-height" unit...not as tall as a Vivitar T-Mount but taller than a Vivitar M42 Triple Track linked earlier. So make sure it will fit with your setup before buying. M42 is of course easy to adapt to most any camera and these lenses have an infinitely-adjustable camera mount so you can rotate it to any angle. And the Pentax Auto Bellows is a wonderful piece of precision Japanese machinery. I would buy this myself but I just don't need another...Ray

PS: The Pentax Auto Bellows are prone to breakage of their white nylon bearing inserts. If a bearing is broken, the bellows won't tighten down well. The seller offers 3-day return privilege but you might also ask before buying if any of the 3 bearings are broken.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  3:34 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, someone bought the bellows and lens...was it anyone on this forum? I hope so...Ray

PS...did someone on this forum buy the earlier Vivitar Triple Track Bellows?
Edited by rmpsrpms
01/30/2012 3:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5271 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  07:46 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I almost did! I used to have the Pentax Auto Bellows II set up new in box, used it a couple of times then sold it on eBay for $270.00 back in the early 2000's, couldn't pass up that price since I was needing to invest in some seriously expensive lenses, EF 200mm f/1.8L and an EF 500mm f/4L IS for my work. I dumped anything I had film related back then. I really liked the Pentax plus I still have the Pentax cameras and Macro lenses since they weren't really worth that much used. I don't really need the lens so I'm holding out for another one.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
West...what Pentax macro lenses do you have? In PK or M42? They are nice lenses and should work well for coins as long as they are long enough...Ray
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kamorka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray, I didn't get that bellows, but was able to pick up this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/12084353402....m1497.l2649
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:11 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Great deal especially with the focusing rail included.

Spiratone marketed a nice 75mm Flat Field Macro lens in T-Mount that will mount to that bellows directly. Also, I've purchased some adapters off eBay that were marked "M42 to M39" but were actually T-mount, not M42. Note that "M42" is same as "Pentax Thread" or "Mamiya-Sekor", or sometimes "Universal Thread" and is 42mm x 1mm pitch. T-Mount is 42mm x 0.75mm pitch. But sometimes they either mismark or thread items such that they will thread onto both. You just have to experiment...Ray
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray, can you explain how different these two bellows are in precision/mechanics (other than the obvious mount differences)? Also, could you comment on the prices?

Asahi Pentax Autobellows -- $80 + $15 S&H
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370574693287

and

Pentax Auto Bellows A -- $215 + $16.95 S&H
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-Auto...220938586279

Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:04 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mechanics are essentially the same between these far as I know. $215 is already too much for the BellowsA. It even appears to be missing the end trim screw. $80 for the Auto Bellows is a good deal for whoever got it...Ray
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5271 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  1:31 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
West...what Pentax macro lenses do you have? In PK or M42? They are nice lenses and should work well for coins as long as they are long enough...Ray

Ray,
I have the 100mm f/4 in PK was my second lens I ever had, got it with my fist camera a Pentax ME Super. I still have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 100mm macro in a case somewhere.

When I was playing with my Bellows (along time ago) I used a contax 50mm.

Years after high school I actually fell into a photography job, there I used all Canon EF stuff and a Contax 645AF system. Now it's just a hobby again. I worked for an Atlantic Recording artist, and was on tour and staff for 5 years, then after that job ended (layed off) I switched over to sports photography, Gymnastics, open wheel auto racing, and some soccer/football stuff. Sold most of my gear as I got into astrophotography, though I still have a 1Ds body and a 20Da body with some good L glass. I'm using a EF 100mm f/2.8 macro right now, it's a pretty sharp lens, but I'd like to return to my old bellows for the really close up shots on my 2¢ varieties and VAM's. I also have a lot of Olympus OM lenses and OM-1 bodies somewhere in one of my storage units, I used them on the telescope befpre getting into expensive CCD cameras.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm using a Pentax K-x with a Sigma Macro 50mm 1:2.8 for coin shoots and decided to raise the bar.

So I got a Nikon EL-Nikkor 105mm 1:5.6 enlarging lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22092813779....m1497.l2649

And an ASAHI PENTAX Auto Bellows like new in box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22091563506....m1497.l2649

Toss in a couple of adaptors, and I hope to be doing some bellows shoots for less than $150.

If the plastic bearing breaks, I think I can machine a new one. I've got the stock and the tools.
And if it sounds like I might be bragging, I'm not. I'm encouraging anyone else that wants to get on the band wagon to do so without fear.
I'm as dumb as a garden hose. And if I can find the stuff and make it work (with help from my friends on this forum,) so can any monkey.

I never would have guessed that bellows were the new rage. I always thought of myself as a cork screw in the butter knife drawer. The only downside is now I'm going to have to upgrade my HillBilly copy stand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you end up with broken pieces I have a donor unit I've been pilfering parts from. Let me know when you get the unit if you need any parts...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  12:32 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking Vivitar bellows for a good price. Set up for Canon FD and even has a 50mm lens all for $45:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33069518404....m1438.l2649
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what does "setup for canon FD" mean? I have no idea what that means , all I know if I have a Canon dSLR camera and have never heard the term FD before
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  10:31 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FD was Canon's lens standard before EF/EOS. Before FD it was FL. So this setup has adapters to mount an FD camera (FD-T adapter) and FD lenses (T-FD). The Vivitar bellows are T-Mount, so for most Canon users it would make sense to replace the FD-T adapter with an EOS-T, and the T-FD adapter with T-M39...Ray
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05