Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

High-Definition Coins in Fine Silver Proof Set

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1983 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  2:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just visited the RCM's website and noticed that the coins in the 2012 fine silver proof set are struck twice at a lower than normal speed for a "high definition" finish.

Not exactly sure what that means, but it will interesting to compare the proof coins with "standard" examples.

I also noted that the coins are hand processed in/out of the presses- should make for great quality.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its all just marketing, a justification for the consumer spending 225 dollars on a set that includes such an ugly dollar.
Edited by Mrent
01/17/2012 3:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mintage limit of 20,000. They should lower it to 2,000 and I would justify buying it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's the thing, a quite a number of classic uncirculated coins with a certain grade scarcity can be bought in that price range. So would I spend on a set of nice but "easy enough to find later" coins or take a chance on adding something really neat to my collection like a high grade large cent in red.

Let me think about it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2395 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A mintage limit of 20,000. They should lower it to 2,000 and I would justify buying it.

Totally agree that the mintage is much too high. At 5k, or even 10k, and I would have definitely ordered this set. At 20k, I will pass.

Nice coins though.
Pillar of the Community
661 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile Check qbvbsite's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To expensive for me.. I'll stick to my Speciman set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1983 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mrent - Why is the dollar ugly?

From my view of the images available, the soldiers appear nicely detailed and their superimposed presentation over the battlefield map makes for a reasonable and balanced composition.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar of the Community
Canada
504 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cownick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a very nice set. It caught my eye right off the bat thinking it's going to be mine this year. The penny is a first, and there is alot more gold plating.
When I looked at the price my jaw hit the floor. Maybe I'll carve a set out of wood.
Valued Member
423 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add realpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"High definition" - they are 1080p coins. Oh wait that's my TV...
Well with those prices you gotta use any marketing terms you can.

Really nice set though. Can wait to see some pictures of the actual coins people get.

I noticed the 1/25th Gold coin series (Bluenose) on eBay. Prices have seemed to gone up a lot over last years pricing structure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not ugly in my opinion, but not as nice as the 100th of the parks dollar
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile Check Lithanial's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $225, you should get silver versions of the Specimen Loonies and Toonies. The all special Silver Set.
Waiting for Ziz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1703 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double-struck. Hummmm. I thought all proofs were made that way.

Can't wait to see.

Fine silver small penny is something new I think:

(NOTICE THE DATE ON THE COIN)
Edited by canadian_coins
01/17/2012 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian_coins, thanks for pointing that out. I assumed it was a 2012 penny and I'm sure it will be upon release. But what if the RCM didn't catch the mistake? I wouldn't mind them sending a 2012 replacement and I still get to keep the 2011 one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1703 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the artwork is done way before the coins are struck and that's why the pictures on the RCM web site look a bit different than the real ones. In this case, the artist might have used the wrong picture. The selective gold plated silver coin is relatively easy to create.

Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to just own the penny - just for the novelty factor. I'd never pay that much for the set though!

So, Canadian_coins: How does one selectively gold plate a penny(or any coin for that matter). I'd love to do that to a coin with little numismatic value to me just for the novelty of it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2395 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(NOTICE THE DATE ON THE COIN)

Nice catch on the date canadian_coins.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05